Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

Homer in his first at bat in High-A. 

I'm calling it first here, he will be our number one prospect by the end of the season.  May not be going out on much of a limb with Rutschman and Rodriguez likely to graduate from the list but this kid feels like the real deal. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Homer in his first at bat in High-A. 

I'm calling it first here, he will be our number one prospect by the end of the season.  May not be going out on much of a limb with Rutschman and Rodriguez likely to graduate from the list but this kid feels like the real deal. 

He and Gunnar will be #1 and 2.

The tiniest sample size of course, and just 1 error did it, but fielding percentage of .833 on opening weekend.

Gutierrez had a .970 for the Orioles last year, Maikel Franco a .967.

This is the one where former Elias/Sig colleague Kevin Goldstein in offseason Fangraphs chats was already labeling him a RF because of how big he was getting.    So far Matt Blood disagrees.

Are you really posting about his one error?

More relevant, I’d say, is his career .890 fielding percentage over 56 games.   That’s not stellar either, but reasonably typical in the low minors.   We’ll see how his season goes.   

I was really just posting he stayed at 3B the first weekend.    

I do hope there won't be anything like the SS/3B Mountcastle tilting at windmills, and that he won't repeat Trey Mancini's life experience of being asked to learn the OF at the same time he is trying to adjust to MLB pitching.

I hope he has the athleticism and defensive skill of young Kris Bryant!

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I was really just posting he stayed at 3B the first weekend.    

I do hope there won't be anything like the SS/3B Mountcastle tilting at windmills, and that he won't repeat Trey Mancini's life experience of being asked to learn the OF at the same time he is trying to adjust to MLB pitching.

I hope he has the athleticism and defensive skill of young Kris Bryant!

FWIW, the problem for Ryan Mountcastle on the left side of the infield was the arm, which is not an issue for Mayo at all by all accounts.