Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

Mayo’s been a bit off in May/June until tonight.   Good to see him have a big day.  I’m neither disappointed nor happy with his season to date — plenty of time for it to go either way.  He’s certainly holding his own but I’m hoping for a bit more than that. 

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Hits his 11th homerun.

Whats everyone thoughts on Mayo? Alittle disappointed about the strikeouts, low BA and pedestrian OBP - maybe Mountcastle upside. Cheap power hitter 1B/RF with flaws - trade when expensive.

He’s definitely not Mountcastle, who has the bat but can’t  throw and is strictly a 1B/DH.  If I recall, Mayo’s arm was the highest rated tool in the O’s system last year.  Something like a 70/80?  He is also 16/17 in stolen bases and has an OBP about .100 points higher than his BA as a professional.

Here is a scouting report from earlier this year where his arm is referred to as “double plus.” Also, he is supposed to be plenty athletic enough to stay at 3B.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2022/01/26/coby-mayo-defensive-scouting-report/

I am definitely disappointed in some of his early numbers, but he’s young and oozes talent.  Let’s see where he is at come September.  

11 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

I am definitely disappointed in some of his early numbers, but he’s young and oozes talent.  Let’s see where he is at come September.  

He's top 5 in homers, top 15 in slugging and top 25 in OPS. Obviously he's been nowhere near as dominate as he was in Delmarva but he's more than holding his own as a 20 year old. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

He's top 5 in homers, top 15 in slugging and top 25 in OPS. Obviously he's been nowhere near as dominate as he was in Delmarva but he's more than holding his own as a 20 year old. 

That’s how I feel. When the system leaders in individual categories was posted here yesterday, Mayo was in the top 5 in a bunch of categories. Not bad for a player that is “struggling”. 

Gunnar had a lower OPS in a similar amount of games in Aberdeen last year, but still got the late season call to Bowie. Not every player is going to promoted every 50-60 games. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Aberdeen is an extreme pitchers park as well. Would love to see what he can do in Bowie. 

While the drop in power and average is understandable at Aberdeen's cavernous power alley stadium, His drop in BB-K ratio early on was a little disappointing. The good news is over his last 20 games (81 PAs) he has a 12-19 BB-K ratio and has slashed .265/.383/.441/.824. 

Hopefully he's starting to make those adjustments and will get on a heater for a bit and make his way up to AA in the second half of the season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Pitches per PA is to 4.008 from 3.264 last year.  Good show of patience for a young guy against older pitching.

And I don't believe this is a coincidence. We look so much at stat lines. The O's are focused on other things. Guaranteed. 

Their hope is these guys progress just like Henderson, which wasn't linear.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Only 5 homers against rest of the league, seems important. 

Hard to say if it’s anything more than a coincidence.   Jersey Shore has basically league average pitching (4.78 ERA to league average 4.95) and they have allowed fewer homers than most of the teams (43, 4th fewest in the league compared to 60 league average).   

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hard to say if it’s anything more than a coincidence.   Jersey Shore has basically league average pitching (4.78 ERA to league average 4.95) and they have allowed fewer homers than most of the teams (43, 4th fewest in the league compared to 60 league average).   

Jersey Shore has also been 21% of Aberdeen's schedule so far (by my count), so they've played them a lot. I'm going with coincidence. 

• Upvote 1