Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

I was almost as disappointed in the Cowser draft pick last year as the Kjerstad pick the year prior, and I have to admit, it's pretty rough seeing Lawlar and Watson - both players I preferred to Cowser that Elias and co. passed on - just crushing early on.

Cowser is a talented player and was a "safe" pick to save money for later rounds, but I hope not taking BPA in the first round in back to back drafts doesn't come back to haunt us. Elias did a great job drafting Westburg, Mayo, and Baumler (and Haskin) in the 2020 draft, but I think he could have still saved money, wound up with the some of the same later picks, and drafted a far better player in the 1st round by going with Hassell, Walker, or Veen.

We seem to have some nice depth pieces from later on in the 2021 draft, but are guys like Rhodes, Williams, Trimble, and Willems really worth passing on elite talents like Lawlar and Watson? I think the answer will turn out to be "No", and I think 2020 will be viewed in hindsight as a worse mistake (Kjerstad) than 2021 (Cowser), but we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Not feeling great at the moment.

• Upvote 2

People keep saying Elias knows what he's doing.  It would be nice if there was some evidence of that.  I will root for Heston and CC because they are Orioles but I hated both picks.  We have the #1 again and the last one is 24 and still hasn't seen Baltimore.  Getting really tired of the process.

No problem with not liking the pick, but seems odd to me to put criticism in Cowser's thread when he's put up an OPS of almost 1.000 in his minor league time, including very limited time this year.  I will say the Ks are higher than I'd like to see for someone with his skill set - again, extremely limited sample size.

Cowser was a consensus top 10 prospect picked at 5. It's totally fine to prefer other players, but it wasn't like he was the 30th best prospect. Watson in particular wasn't even selected till 16, so clearly other teams also agreed with the Orioles evaluation. Doesn't mean they'll be right, just that there wasn't some grand consensus the Orioles went against. Cowser is also ahead of both those guys in the fangraphs top 100. 

This just seems like a massive overreaction, especially as the Orioles player has a 1.0111 OPS 

Edited by seak05
  • Upvote 2

On 4/9/2022 at 12:36 AM, Filmstudy said:

After tonight's 19-hit outburst, I'm already addicted to watching the Delmarva graduates play at Aberdeen via MiLB.  Great time to go see a game in Aberdeen.

Too bad half of their games are on that pitiful Aberdeen MiLB broadcast. They are fun to watch.

Cowser has surprisingly struck out at a high rate so far this year, but he's still getting on base and Aberdeen Stadium is a big stadium that can get in hitter's heads sometimes. Honestly, between their awful MiLB broadcast and their extreme pitcher friendly dimensions, I really think the Orioles made the wrong decision to get rid of Frederick and keep Aberdeen. 

Back to Cowser though, he's going to be just fine. I think we'll see that K % come down and BB% go up soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I was almost as disappointed in the Cowser draft pick last year as the Kjerstad pick the year prior, and I have to admit, it's pretty rough seeing Lawlar and Watson - both players I preferred to Cowser that Elias and co. passed on - just crushing early on.

Cowser is a talented player and was a "safe" pick to save money for later rounds, but I hope not taking BPA in the first round in back to back drafts doesn't come back to haunt us. Elias did a great job drafting Westburg, Mayo, and Baumler (and Haskin) in the 2020 draft, but I think he could have still saved money, wound up with the some of the same later picks, and drafted a far better player in the 1st round by going with Hassell, Walker, or Veen.

We seem to have some nice depth pieces from later on in the 2021 draft, but are guys like Rhodes, Williams, Trimble, and Willems really worth passing on elite talents like Lawlar and Watson? I think the answer will turn out to be "No", and I think 2020 will be viewed in hindsight as a worse mistake (Kjerstad) than 2021 (Cowser), but we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Not feeling great at the moment.

I hadn’t realized that Lawlar was healthy and playing, following his torn labrum last summer.   I’m glad to hear he’s recovered and playing well.   

It’s going to take years before we know how Elias’ draft strategy worked out.  So, I’m just going to sit back and relax.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m personally very interested to follow Witt/Veen/Lawlar vs Adley/Kjerstad/Cowser.

Sure, but will we only hear from you if the HS players turn out to be better than their college counterparts?