Luis Barrera vs McKenna vs Stewart at 4th OFer

wildcard

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This is the bottom line. 

wildcard, it's an interesting discussion in the McKenna realm, but Oakland of all teams wouldn't DFA this guy if he was much of an asset at all. I don't care what the articles say, right or wrong. His own team doesn't think he has value.

I think they think he has enough value to be traded.   Many teams probably including the Athletics don't think that outfielders that lack power are worth keeping in their system.  

I am just comparing him to McKenna and Stewart and thinking he may have as much value to the O's as them if he can be claimed.  I would not trade for him.   The O's could keep McKenna and Barrera on the 40 man and evaluate them for their speed, defense and what ever offense they can provide.  The deeper left field makes speed and  outfield defense more important to the O's then it has been in the past.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think they think he has enough value to be traded.   Many teams probably including the Athletics don't think that outfielders that lack power are worth keeping in their system.  

I am just comparing him to McKenna and Stewart and thinking he may have as much value to the O's as them if he can be claimed.  I would not trade for him.   The O's could keep McKenna and Barrera on the 40 man and evaluate them for their speed, defense and what ever offense they can provide.  The deeper left field makes speed and  outfield defense more important to the O's then it has been in the past.

I wouldn't hate it if they kept him and dropped Stewart, but the utility of that move should be very short term if Stowers and Vavra are healthy and performing.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

The Athletics of all teams aren't ignoring quantifiable value out of a single-minded focus for power.

Again, it's an interesting discussion in the McKenna context. I'm sure we could upgrade there, but with prospects on the come and a team that's going to struggle to win 65 games, I'm not sure dropping your homegrown guy for a marginal at best upgrade is exactly a good move from a chemistry perspective. 

Chemistry perspective?  Elias just traded Scott and Sulser for a draft choice that probably will not him see the majors until 2025 if at all, a AA starter with low 90s fastball, a lottery ticket Dominican and a PTBNL.   

I don't think Chemistry fits into Elias evaluation.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I wouldn't hate it if they kept him and dropped Stewart, but the utility of that move should be very short term if Stowers and Vavra are healthy and performing.

And Diaz.  And because the O's have Diaz and Stowers is why Stewart has a foot out the door.    But now left and center take different types of players than right.   Barrera and McKenna would be evaluate in the short term for those positions and keep the one that is the best.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Right now I see the pitching staff as.  Eflin, GRod, Suarez, Kremer and one of Povich, Rogers, McDermott and Young.  All of the 5th starters have options so they can be on the shuttle if needed.   Bradish and Wells may come back in the 2nd half. Pen:  Bautista, Cano, Coulombe, Dominguez, Soto, Akin, Perez, Webb and Bowman.   Yes that is 9 but someone is normally injured.   I will not be surprised if the O's protect Nick Anderson and bring him to camp in case of injuries.    Akin has an option next year. That is 20 pitchers. Will Elias look to improve over the winner? Sure but with the 5th starters being able to either start or be a long man in the pen the O's begin the off season with volume on the pitching staff.
    • If you're going to make this a WAR/OPS/OPS+ debate, sure, he's not the best offensive player right now.  But then again his power/speed combination makes him tough to beat. Best talent ever because of the ability to pitch, yes.  That's the point I was making.  Not only to pitch, but to be dominant on the hill, too.
    • I think Mullins is as set as the entire lineup, but he would have to go if Elias chased the Robert upgrade. Getz already navigated the 3-team thing when he wanted Dodgers Latin kids, and the Dodgers didn't feel Erick Fedde was the caliber of pitcher they wanted to deploy. I do like Santander as a Victor Martinez aficionado, but he and Kjerstad are both RF profiles and, holy Rio Ruiz Batman, the handpicked kid has to play.    This is one of those calculations where the 80% as good for 20% of the cost part is easy, even if Kjerstad never achieves the heights Santander is at now. There's still room to hope Kjerstad is all Santander is and more, but even if he isn't, the team needs the Santander salary slot repurposed to pitching more than it needs him. I think after this summer's moves, we got a fair bit of information if Elias is trading Cowser/Kjerstad for pitching...looking like he isn't.
    • I think you can argue he’s the best talent ever because of his ability to pitch. As an offensive player, he’s not the best player right now.
    • Age, body type, how he plays(strengths/weaknesses) and what we have depth at, in terms of high end talent, coming up behind him. And yes, we should be out on most key FAs because they are largely terrible investments.
    • I'd say that overall his defense has also been down this year.  
    • Your point is entirely valid. Just because Tony is better than Trumbo was means nothing, because Trumbo was a catastrophe. It was just beyond comprehension that they kept putting him in the field. That said, Santander is still ok. Diminished range, but a good glove and arm. However, they avoided the problem with Nelson Cruz in Seattle and Minnesota by just putting him designated hitter, so that’s a possibility for Santander, if he can maintain solid contact. But not here. Let’s take the pick and use it on pitching, please.
  • Popular Contributors