Wednesday, April 13 -- Rubber match vs Brewers

SteveA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Is Justin Verlander toast?     Maybe the future resembles the past. In Bradish's presumed absence, he's an interesting possible character as one of the three lead SP. I do believe the Astros staggered his start this year knowing at his age 26 weeks + October is too heavy a lift.    He's presently sidelined with a sore neck after getting scratched a couple days ago (and the Astros getting routed when they had to accelerate a kiddo).  Last October he had two good games and one bad game against MIN and TEX. Astros this week have a cold/hot mix with the White Sox before us this weekend, when we might get a live look.
    • IMO because all big contracts come with various degrees of risk. The wisest course is to spend on the best/most talented player. They are the ones who most likely have the longest run of great to good in them, even if they cost the most. What you don't want to do is spend money on guys who fall off of cliffs early or are injury prone or who do not have the mentality to handle success or who do not have very strong work habits and will likely become comfortable after getting paid. That is why I think (like many others) that Gunnar is the guy you want to extend even if you have to move heaven and earth to do so. I just don't see anything in his profile/short history that are any kind of "red flags". It is likely to be worth it (at least for a long time - at least next decade). Also taking into account the momentum that the O's are riding with winning, so many young homegrown stars, and new ownership. IF they were to extend a Henderson and/or Rustchman IMO it will take the org to a new level and provide even greater momentum and fan interest/marketplace growth. That is how you become the next "big player/franchise" that can sustain winning beyond a short/6 yr team control window. I've stated before that I worry that a Rays model of ongoing rebuilding, never spending meaningfully, and never being invested enough as an org to be fully committed to winning sends the wrong message to your customer/fanbase and will never really engage a community/marketplace fully. 
    • I doubt they give him a 2-3 year deal, I do think if he's here it's because they give a QO and he takes it, which I also doubt he'd do, because someone is going to pay him more for longer.
    • I don’t think you should be influenced by a hot streak. Santander is going to have those..he’s also going to be ice cold at times. I have no desire to pay him 22ishM next year.  That’s where “paying for WAR” goes overboard for me. Just because he may “be worth it” doesn’t mean it’s money well spent. With that said, I believe AS will be here next year. I don’t agree with it but I think they sign him to a 2-3 year deal.
    • I don't think that I can speak with any certainty about what this team will do. This is the first meaningful stop of meaningful spending that the Rubenstien train has come to. I guess it seems prudent to me to wait, observe, and assess after the dealine to see how it goes. If there is any truth to the rumors that the O's are considering making Basallo available, that means that they are more big game hunting than you suggest. Just because we may not have the #1, 2, 3 payroll in the sport like the Yankees/Dodgers/Mets, there is still A LONG WAY TO GO between where we are now and even an average MLB payroll, let alone top 10ish. I agree that the bullpen is a real need. But I do not agree that we are fine with starting Cole Irvin round after round in the playoffs and in a 7 game series possibly two starts in a series. I guess if your goal is to successfully complete ONE round it could work. But I don't believe it is a good idea or reasonable plan for success to believe Cole Irvin will be successful multiple times against some of the best offenses in the league like NYY, Philly/LAD. I have stated this on numerous occasions, but I believe that the Orioles are good enough to win a World Series this season, if they make 1-3 additions. Pitching happens to be the hole that needs to be filled this year AND we have the prospect capital to do it AND we have an owner with means (this time) and hopefully the will necessary to support winning (I question if Angelos ever had that) AND the front office who is bold and believes enough to land us 1/2 impact players when it is time. Lastly, Mayo may be the bat that you say. I hope that is true. But I am very skeptical about kids coming from AAA to excel immediately in the Majors. That just doesn't happen very much at all anymore. Almost all struggle to acclimate initially.   
    • “it requires spending money intelligently” That it is how the quote should read.
    • Yeah, we kind of need to revisit this after the trade deadline when we will have a better idea of which assets we have left to protect. We may also have a better idea of openings on the 40 man. 
  • Popular Contributors