The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

Eight-year $200MM? Yeah, that'll do it.

But the article is contradictory. It says "Patrick reports" and then Patrick says, "If true then..." So it's not certain this is correct, either for figures or years. Or team.

Maybe Patrick had it wrong? Maybe it was the O's, not the Sox, that made the offer?

But 8/200 will do it I'd say.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way the Red Sox made or will make a 8yr / 200mil offer. No way. That is a Boras play, plain and simple.

We might be crazy enough to do that given how PGA feels about Tex in particular - but that kind of offer from the Red Sox has no precedent in their FO. Such an allocation given the pieces they already have and a possible star in Lars Anderson is just too stupid for what has proven to be a very intelligent FO in Boston.

Ok...first things first, you will NOT get blasted for offering your opinion!

To answer your question about the speculation, when I heard MacPhail's closing comments at the meetings and Trembley on the Hot Stove show Friday night, they both gave every indication that the Orioles ARE in the Tex sweepstakes and the ball is in his court. They would not have said that if we did not make a significant offer.

Thanks for the response. I did hear that. That may be the only time I have heard anything that would support us even being in on Tex. Since Friday though I have read reports that the O's would be out by the end of the week, we are not the high bidder, and that he is likely to sign with the Sox. Each time I hear this it is usually followed by someone making an immediate excuse by someone on here or attacking the person that reported its reputation. It is just weird to me that so many people are putting their faith in the "insiders" on here and not accepting news from people like Roch, Onley, Gammons, etc. I understand people want him here. I want him here too, but everything that I hear tells me he will not be here. I don't understand why others are not seeing the writing on the wall as well. I just don’t want to see this board overload when/if he signs with another team. I think a lot of people are having too much false hope and are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Well, if that's the case and the Sox matched out offer, say goodbye to Tex. MacPhail and Angelos won't keep playing this game of Boras continually raising the stakes. If Tex wants to be here, $200 should have been enough. If he wants to be greedy and suck us dry, then let him do it to the Sox. I want him to be an Oriole rea badly, but not if he's gonna be a greedy "me-first" player. $200 MILLION DOLLARS! Take it or leave it Tex!

Over the course of 8 years @ 200million = $154,320 per game! For us working class folks raising kids- this is just getting (has been) insane. I would take a one game salary for an annual salary!

IF this is true and you have a 8/200 from the Orioles and the Red Sox, I think Tex will pick us because I think AM and his company at the Meetings wowed him with what the team is doing and where it is going.

Really? If you could have 8/200 and a chance at a WS every year, you'd turn it down for 8/200 and a super-nice GM on a 5th place team?

No way the Red Sox made or will make a 8yr / 200mil offer. No way. That is a Boras play, plain and simple.

We might be crazy enough to do that given how PGA feels about Tex in particular - but that kind of offer from the Red Sox has no precedent in their FO. Such an allocation given the pieces they already have and a possible star in Lars Anderson is just too stupid for what has proven to be a very intelligent FO in Boston.

Totally agree with this. The media has consistently demonstrated no ability to correctly report what the Red Sox are doing or will do. That FO has never offered 8 years to anyone, and they have never offered $200 million to anyone. Suddenly they are offering both? Sure.

I think a lot of people are having too much false hope and are setting themselves up for disappointment.
We can take it. Are we not men?

But it's Tex I'm worried about. If he's quibbling about whether he'll make 120K or 150k per game and then goes to Boston, his life will be empty and his soul profitless.

Really? If you could have 8/200 and a chance at a WS every year, you'd turn it down for 8/200 and a super-nice GM on a 5th place team?

That's just me and my biased desire to play for the Orioles. But, these things can happen. Who's to say Tex wasn't impressed with what AM told him and what he has seen on a first hand bases during games?

Archived