Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar went two for three with a double today, but suffered his first caught stealing of the season.  

Up to .321 with .465 OBP for the season.  Now 24 BB and 20 Ks for the season. 

There are only 5 qualifying players in the entire Eastern league with more BB than Ks.  I think of 17.5% as a high K%, but it's actually 7th best in the Eastern league right now.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hot streak or has he mastered the level?

I hate to say he has mastered the level but his approach has been spot on since opening day even before the numbers were great, which they are now.   He is not making errors in the field.  He's stealing bases.    His plate discipline is what you would hope for.     What he's doing offensively is what you expect from Rutshcmann.

Someone mentioned Machado and when he was promoted to Baltimore.  Statistically, Henderson is in a better place than Machado was although I believe Henderson is a bit older (a year?) than Machado was.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I hate to say he has mastered the level but his approach has been spot on since opening day even before the numbers were great, which they are now.   He is not making errors in the field.  He's stealing bases.    His plate discipline is what you would hope for.     What he's doing offensively is what you expect from Rutshcmann.

Move him up.

Gunnar is #7 on Todays BA Hot Sheet:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/hot-sheet-baseballs-20-hottest-prospects-from-the-past-week-51022/

7. Gunnar Henderson, SS, Orioles
Team: Double-A Bowie (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: .529/.600/.765 (9-for-17), 5 R, 1 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 2 BB, 3 SO, 4-for-4 SB

The Scoop: Good things come in three for Henderson, as he opened the week with consecutive three-hit games on Tuesday and Wednesday, then capped off the week with three stolen bases in the first leg of Sunday’s doubleheader with Harrisburg. With numerous rainouts in the Mid-Atlantic, Bowie and Henderson only played five games last week, but that certainly didn’t stop the 20-year-old shortstop from continuing to do damage. He’s hitting .309/.459/.506 as one of the youngest players in the upper minors with rate stats like chase percentage and miss percentage that back the step forward in production. (GP)

And from the Hot Sheet Chat:

Brad (NJ):

• Geoff, Tell me more about Gunnar Henderson? What kind of offensive potential are we looking at? How high do you think he could rank in the 2023 BA Handbook?

Geoff Pontes: Depending on graduations and what Baltimore does in the draft he could be 1 or 2 in the Orioles system this winter. The power and plate discipline were always there, now he's making contact at an above-average rate as a 20 year old in Double-A. I think he could be a big mover this summer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hot streak or has he mastered the level?

Hot streak, but that’s not to say that he hadn’t made a great adjustment to AA.   To me, if he’s still hitting like this at the end of May, a promotion will be considered.   It’s probably too early to do it yet.   Let’s see how dialed in he stays.  If he cools down, he probably waits until July for a promotion.  

😵Another:

Zach (Baltimore):

• I know it's early, but Gunnar Henderson's plate discipline improvements are starting to look like a big deal, and I've heard (anecdotally, at least) that his 3B defense has been looking really good as well. Could he jump into the top 30 if he maintains this level of play for a couple more months?

Geoff Pontes: You're preaching to the choir, I think he could and the approach has been fine, the bat to ball skills are showing up now. Not a word of hyperbole here, he might have the best hitting data in the minors. There's running ability and defense. I think he could be a star.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hot streak, but that’s not to say that he hadn’t made a great adjustment to AA.   To me, if he’s still hitting like this at the end of May, a promotion will be considered.   It’s probably too early to do it yet.   Let’s see how dialed in he stays.  If he cools down, he probably waits until July for a promotion.  

He is dialed in but it's steady and consistent.   He doesn't seem to be on a "hot" streak.    I mean he hasn't seemed to have many 3-4 games with 2 home runs type of games.  Every game seems to be 1 hit and 2 walks or 2 hits and 1 walk but his box scores don't jump off the page each day.