2022 Ongoing Lineup Thread

OsFanSinceThe80s

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can’t sit our two OBP machines in the same game. The rest of our lineup is too similar. Hays needs to pick stuff up. He’s hurting the team. 

This is why I wouldn’t mind trading Mountcastle or Hays for the right trade package. Their hack at everything approach is great when they’re hitting well.

When they’re cold they are just about useless on offense. Rutschman and Vavra can still contribute even if they are slumping. 

Elias just needs to take the decision-making out of Hyde's hands. Send Nevin down, DFA Odor, DFA Phillips, and bring up Stowers, Gunnar, and Westburg.

Platoon Stowers and McKenna in RF, use Santander at DH/1B, Vavra takes over at 2B (and he can platoon with Westburg if needed), Gunnar at 3B, and make Urias and Westburg the super-utility infielders. Our offense will take a huge step up, even if each of those prospects has an adjustment period.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Elias just needs to take the decision-making out of Hyde's hands. Send Nevin down, DFA Odor, DFA Phillips, and bring up Stowers, Gunnar, and Westburg.

Platoon Stowers and McKenna in RF, use Santander at DH/1B, Vavra takes over at 2B (and he can platoon with Westburg if needed), Gunnar at 3B, and make Urias and Westburg the super-utility infielders. Our offense will take a huge step up, even if each of those prospects has an adjustment period.

I don't think Hyde has much input in to the roster makeup and that's all Elias on who stays and goes. Even with the lineup and pitching usage, I wouldn't be surprised if Sig and the analytics team had input into the decisions made. 

• Upvote 2

If we’re going to rest so many vital players in the same game then we should rotate hitters onto the roster from AAA if the bullpen is rested. If we’re facing a RH SP we could go with Stowers or even DJ Stewart for a game. 

The SPs just build so much momentum versus those lineups. 

It is strange how often Hyde seems to be resting guys.  I guess that is just part of giving guys looks and this still being an evaluation year for some guys.  Those years when we were winning under Buck it was like you could set your watch to the same lineup card everyday based on whether we were facing a righty or lefty.

21 hours ago, interloper said:

These getaway day Buck lineups are killing me man. But no Phillips, so that's nice. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No more Dave Tembley Sunday lineups. 

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

It is strange how often Hyde seems to be resting guys.  I guess that is just part of giving guys looks and this still being an evaluation year for some guys.  Those years when we were winning under Buck it was like you could set your watch to the same lineup card everyday based on whether we were facing a righty or lefty.

So Buck did it, Trembley did it, and also Buck never did it! 

I think the issue isn't resting guys too much. Not many players top 150 games on any team. It's that we have a few backups (Nevin, Chirinos, Phillips) that are really bad. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

So Buck did it, Trembley did it, and also Buck never did it! 

I think the issue isn't resting guys too much. Not many players top 150 games on any team. It's that we have a few backups (Nevin, Chirinos, Phillips) that are really bad. 

I doubt there’s much to be done about Chirinos, but I have to believe that Henderson and Stowers would be huge upgrades over Nevin and Phillips.  Make Vavra the starting second baseman and Odor a late inning LH pinch hitter if you don’t want to release him.  Now you have a much more competitive lineup.

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't think Hyde has much input in to the roster makeup and that's all Elias on who stays and goes. Even with the lineup and pitching usage, I wouldn't be surprised if Sig and the analytics team had input into the decisions made. 

All I was saying is that Hyde writes the lineups. Of course Elias decides who stays or goes - that was the whole point of my post. I want Elias to take Hyde's favoritism towards Odor and Nevin out of Hyde's hands.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

All I was saying is that Hyde writes the lineups. Of course Elias decides who stays or goes - that was the whole point of my post. I want Elias to take Hyde's favoritism towards Odor and Nevin out of Hyde's hands.

I think Elias wants all the prospects down for service time reasons. That’s not Hyde.  I also think Elias and Co. might be dictating some sort of “load management” for this group of players. They already said winning this year wasn’t likely, so I doubt Elias does want someone getting hurt from playing without rest. 

Long story short, I think Elias does have a hand in the lineup process.