The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Don't they usually have the player come to them, though?

They went to visit A-Rod during their pursuit of him in 2003 and Theo made his famous Thanksgiving day visit to Curt Schilling's house that same off season to convince him to waive his no-trade and agree to be traded to the Red Sox.

So, no. They don't always have the player come to them.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying its done but highly likely since all we kept hearing was Boston since Vegas from the media. Millar anyone. Yeah!! I am not surprised. Every year I try to stay positive but they refuse to compete. I just pushed us competing from 2010 to 2012 maybe. I will sadly always root for this team but they kick me in the nuts every offseason. Considering how patient Tex and Youkillis are at the plate our pitchers will be at 100 pitches by the third inning even the strike throwers. They will destroy our bullpen. I guess Lars Anderson is not as good as BA wants us to believe.

a few thoughts on posts I've read...

Wieters signed just before the midnight deadline. Macphail pulled that one out of his hat. Maybe he does it again if Boris comes back to him.

Furcal was broadcasted by everyone to've signed with Atlanta.

Markakis hasn't won a gold glove because he's a right fielder, not a center fielder, and not because he hasn't played on a winning team. If the award were given out to LF, CF, and RF, he'd be top 1 or 2 every year.

Tex is a big get, but he's also a huge contractual burden. There are ways to spin our success or failure both ways here. Markakis, Jones, Wieters, and Guthrie could all command big dollar extensions in the near future. Start with Nick NOW. Scout the Pacific Rim. Scout South America.

Chaos, come on dude, why the absolute, complete 360 and the big-time bashing of AM? PGA I can understand, but I don't think the wrath towards Andy is that warranted....

We really all need to take a step back...this place is going crazy over this guy and where he goes.

If we don't sign Tex, and IMO, we won't (because $23 million is just absurd) then I still have faith in AM in rebuilding this team and continuing the progress he's made. You guys are getting so blinded over this that you are forgetting the progress that AM has MADE THE LAST TWO YEARS! You guys are unreal....I'm gonna go do this now....:bangwall:

Orioles fans are great, even after 6-7 losing seasons in a row, we still had 35,000 per game. Winning will put attendance back up, that simple. You see how many fans are on here.

The Orioles don't get anywhere near 35,000 fans a game. It's probably closer to 12,000

Guest BrettMeister86

If Tex doesn't sign, Markakis will be a Yankee in 3 years, it sickens me. Seriously, MLB can go screw themselves there needs to be some sort of regulation its getting ridiculous. The Rays built a great farm system and developed great talent so what did the Yankees do? Spent insane amounts of cash to counteract their progress by stealing away other team's developed talent. The Rays cannot be a perennial contender as long as Boston and NY have free will to sign whoever they damn well please. It is absolutely disgusting.

Markakis will never be in the 20 million plus club. The reason you might sign an extension is it is a guarantee against injury or decreasing performance. This is the one time for Markakis to do that.
Completely disagree about the 20m plus comment. The way contracts keep ballooning like this, Markakis is easily on pace to be in that territory. If AJ Burnett is getting almost 17m right now, all Nick needs to do is put together 3 seasons where he continues to improve, and he will be the marquee offensive player on the market.

Obviously the reason to extend is to avoid the risk of injury. But that's a risk many players have taken before and it has paid off. Nick doesn't have a history of injury to be paranoid about either.

If Tex doesn't sign, Markakis will be a Yankee in 3 years, it sickens me. Seriously, MLB can go screw themselves there needs to be some sort of regulation its getting ridiculous. The Rays built a great farm system and developed great talent so what did the Yankees do? Spent insane amounts of cash to counteract their progress by stealing away other team's developed talent. The Rays cannot be a perennial contender as long as Boston and NY have free will to sign whoever they damn well please. It is absolutely disgusting.

I wholeheartedly agree. I fully respect the Rays to come back down to earth this season and land in 3rd place.

Archived