The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Tex's family certainly won't be getting the owner's booth if he signs with the Sux.

I wouldn't want to be the Teixeira's in Maryland if Tex does sign with the Sux...

It doesn't look good at this moment, but you never know whats going to happen. Either way, there are a couple of things. No one should have ever expected the guy to sign with the O's just because he grew up in the area. Two, there is no reason whatsoever to blame his family. Blame Angelos and the FO for not having a competitive team.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets all pretend this is true for a second, and think:

Scott Boras is going to let the Red Sox brass come in and sign Tex without contacting the Orioles to raise the contract. Let alone the fact that the reported deal is 184 million, which just ain't true.

First of all, how do you know the $184m figure is inaccurate? Secondly, if the Red Sox tell Boras that their offer is off the table tonight, it may not be his call. Yes, he could let the Sox walk away but that may not be an acceptable option to Teixeira.

The Yankees used this very strategy with Johnny Damon. They flew into meet him and made a substantial offer and told him the deal was off the table once they left. Cashman then excused himself from the room so Damon could discuss with his people. He decided that the offer was good enough that he couldn't risk having it revoked.

That could be what's at play here as well.

That deal is going to be 8/176 or 8/184. Maybe he called the Orioles alrady and told then what Boston was getting ready to offer. When they said they were not interested we said good luck. When the Boston front office meets with Boras it could be to finalize the deal which is my guess. Teixeira WILL be a Red Sox player by Friday.

I tend to agree with you, but in Roch's blog McPhail said that nothing had changed from yesteray, so I'm just not sure at this point.

We need to stop making excuses. It's the Orioles fault if they don't sign him. The Sox' offer is beatable and this franchise has the money. Hell, Angelos has the money.

This game isn't a charity. I wouldn't take a job somewhere if they seriously low-balled me so why should he?

First of all, how do you know the $184m figure is inaccurate? Secondly, if the Red Sox tell Boras that their offer is off the table tonight, it may not be his call. Yes, he could let the Sox walk away but that may not be an acceptable option to Teixeira.

The Yankees used this very strategy with Johnny Damon. They flew into meet him and made a substantial offer and told him the deal was off the table once they left. Cashman then excused himself from the room so Damon could discuss with his people. He decided that the offer was good enough that he couldn't risk having it revoked.

This is boras were talking about. He will not do that if he does I will be honestly surprised.

Will you blame him if he doesn't even get a chance to do that?

Supposedly he's told us we can beat the final offer so if he goes back on his word, you're darn straight I will.

Not to mention all that "dream come true" stuff he has been talking about...

Boras has "educated" his client most likely. He's not going to be bullied.

Absolutely no reason why Angelos shouldn't go 185 he is paying for the savior of his franchise and really the survival of the Baltimore Orioles. Can't put a price tag on that.

Sorry Brett, but the "savior of the franchise" and "the survival of the Baltimore Orioles" is a little too much. The savior of the franchise is hopefully Mr. Jordan with some excellent drafting, some top tier player evaluation and development and a deep, productive farm system that produces Major League Talent.

Tex is awesome and a hometown hero if he returns, but he won't bring us a single championship without Joe Jordan doing an amazing job that trumps the money the Sox or the Yanks can spend.

Third Eye Blind is the greatest American rock band and the only reason the critics never say so is because they're all cynical {behind}holes: "Wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend........"

Peace, Love and Baseball, even without Tex I will always be an Orioles fan!

Why? It's not their fault if the O's are lowballing him.

Let's assume the Orioles offer is 7/150 and Boston's offer is the 8/176 reported by Peter Gammons.

Orioles Offer= $21.42 Million per year

Boston's Offer= $22 Million per year

If the Orioles offered an 8th year at the same rate they would have an offer of 8/172. A differance of $4 Million over 8 seasons is a low ball offer? The best thing the Oriles could do is match Boston's offer and make Teixeira decide between the home team or the contender. If he picks them at that point it is not due to a lack of a fair offer.

Archived