The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 years at north of $21 million per year is not cheap. 7 years at $15 million per year would have been a cheap, lowball offer. The Os did not go that route.

If you think about it, an official offer over $20 million per year is really quite an amazing commitment by the Os, especially when coupled with the fact that they went even further by publicly stating that the offer is "flexible."

Yes, I meant for that to mean that going into this situation two or three years ago, Tex knew PA would be cheap if he was too obvious about his desire to play at home. He wanted to leave the options open if PA pulled a Moose on him.

I am impressed by the 7/150. I don't think it gets him here though.

If the Yanks are going to get into this and make an offer and this turns into a bidding war between the Sox and Yanks, forget about it, we have to go back to waiting for the next great 1B to come along.

PGA is not cheap. He's handed out lots of big contracts before. And tons of other big contracts he has tried to hand out (Carlos Lee, Vlad, Konerko, etc). I'm not really sure where the cheap thing comes from in regards to player salary...

You named 3 people that he handed out contracts too, if he had handed out a "ton" of big contracts before, we wouldn't have low-balled Mussina, Delgado, BJ Ryan. Come on.

Boras did not get his reputation because he always acted in good faith.

Boras gets his reputation from using the media as his puppets to help drive up the price. He does a lot of creative things to help get the biggest contract possible, but I have never heard of him straight up lying to a teams face like that. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think he would do it.

Telling a team they have last crack but then letting other teams get in after that would not make him look good and could seriously hurt him in future negotiations.

Boras gets his reputation from using the media as his puppets to help drive up the price. He does a lot of creative things to help get the biggest contract possible, but I have never heard of him straight up lying to a teams face like that. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think he would do it.

Telling a team they have last crack but then letting other teams get in after that would not make him look good and could seriously hurt him in future negotiations.

+1.

The greatest of all time. GOAT!

Could anyone fill me in on the history with Scott Boras. I remember that before we drafted Wieters, the word was that SB would not talk to the Orioles organization. Later I heard that Boras was to comment that he had an issue with a particular employee of the org?

Was there validity to this? Who was the employee?

I have a feeling if the Sox gave him a huge offer and said take it or leave it right now...he'd conveniently forget his promise to the Orioles.

Large market teams that actually perform. As a media outlet, who wouldn't want to cater to their largest constituents? FWIW, this year when the Rays were tearing it up, they were getting quite the publicity. Win and win often and you'll get your spotlight. Otherwise you're only destined to get a few highlight reels here and there because the team isn't doing anything worthwhile to cater to the masses.

Yankees haven't really performed in several years, as far as a World Series goes.

Philadelphia is a large market and just won the world series, don't think they get much attention. I dunno there are a lot of things about ESPn that bugs me. Like when TO sneezes, they run it as breaking news all day. It just seems like they are wrong so often, in the interest of trying to be "first". Like announcing Furcal to the braves. ESPN is like those annoying 13 year olds who write "FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the comments section of an article.

Characters....

I'm too lazy to try to quote the rest of your post, but it made me laugh. "Well he sure is [announcing partner]..." has definitely been used by Mr. Martinez more than a few times.

This brings me up to an argument I had with a friend a while back about another MASN personality, Rick Dempsey. How much do you think this guy makes for his services on MASN. I said under $50k/year, he said greater than $100k. Am I way off here? There's no way they're paying him $100k a year, right? Its a part time gig, and he's not particularly good at it.

If there are 5 bidders for something, and you are the lowest bidder, how can that not be considered cheap?

150mil isn't cheap, it's called being realistic, Tex doesn't deserve anything higher the 20mil IMO. Even when PA tries to do something right people will always find a way to take a shot at him.

I have a feeling if the Sox gave him a huge offer and said take it or leave it right now...he'd conveniently forget his promise to the Orioles.

Are we even sure there was a promise? And if there was, I bet you anything that came from Tex himself, so I don't think it would have anything to do with Boras forgetting his promise.

150mil isn't cheap, it's called being realistic, Tex doesn't deserve anything higher the 20mil IMO.

Do any of these athletes "deserve" millions of dollars for playing a game?? It really doesn't matter if Tex is paid 20 or 25 million as long as it doesn't adversely affect other areas of the organization more than it benefits the team.

150mil isn't cheap, it's called being realistic, Tex doesn't deserve anything higher the 20mil IMO.

If you attempt to value a player based on revenue generated and compare it to what you pay you will find that no player is worth $20MM a year. Heck, A-Rod was making like $22MM a year and the Yankees could only generate something like $18MM off of him. That whole contract happened because Tom Hicks thought A-Rod would revitalize the franchise and boost businesses around the stadium, among other things...

I would love to learn how Boras approaches this issue.

Players deserve to be compensated for the revenue they generate for their employer. Ballplayers generate a heck of a lot.

I don't know about that... He did demand $35 million when asked to save a 7 year old from drowning.

“How much is an eight-year old boy’s life worth?” asked Boras. “Can you really ever say ‘No, that’s too expensive. I’d rather just let the boy drown?’ No, of course not. I was shocked when Mrs. Corgin refused my offer to save the boy. If you’re not willing to shell out a few bucks to save the life of a child, you’ve got to take a long look in the mirror.”

Archived