The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get that there is this overall feeling that Tex is a must have and we can play out scenarios all day if you like but all I am saying is that I trust AM to do what is in the O's best interest. If he deems that going over our current bid (which by the way he as already said he would) would not be worth it then I am willing to say that it is due to smart decision making not frugality.

I think the problem AM and PA have right now, is this team has been a disappointment for so long that not signing Teix will further erode the fanbase and cost them more money. This decision looks to be going beyond being a baseball decision and into being a business decision. Is Teix worth $20M+ to the Orioles in terms of how he will help the team, nope...is he worth $20M+ to bring back the fans and stop the further erosion of the fanbase, yes. PA has often put business over baseball so that's why I see them making this tremendous push.

I think Boras wants Tex to sign with Boston.

Then he can tell the Yankees that Boston has upped them and they need to sign Ramirez.

This is brutal!

If Tex signs with the O's, then Boras can have Dodgers, Yankees and Angels fighting over Manny.

And then Boras can dangle someone else in front of Boston to keep up with the yanks and CC and AJ and maybe Manny too.

I think the problem AM and PA have right now, is this team has been a disappointment for so long that not signing Teix will further erode the fanbase and cost them more money. This decision looks to be going beyond being a baseball decision and into being a business decision. Is Teix worth $20M+ to the Orioles in terms of how he will help the team, nope...is he worth $20M+ to bring back the fans and stop the further erosion of the fanbase, yes. PA has often put business over baseball so that's why I see them making this tremendous push.

It's always been a business decision. They aren't playing with Monopoly money. People don't get careless with $160MM.

If Tex signs with the O's, then Boras can have Dodgers, Yankees and Angels fighting over Manny.

And then Boras can dangle someone else in front of Boston to keep up with the yanks and CC and AJ and maybe Manny too.

That's why I think it comes down to the Sox and O's. Boras wants the big market teams to bid on Manny because after Manny, there is no elite hitter left. Manny will get big, big money, probably from the Yanks. And th Sox are the only big market team that will not consider Manny.

I think Boras wants Tex to sign with Boston.

Then he can tell the Yankees that Boston has upped them and they need to sign Ramirez.

This is brutal!

I think Boras wants Tex to take the most money.

Period. End of story.

It's always been a business decision. They aren't playing with Monopoly money. People don't get careless with $160MM.

I think for some teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox it's more of a baseball decision. They've operated under the idea that if they put a good product out there it will make money, even if that product is very expensive.

Maybe so, but how are we going to be able to retain any talent we may develop if we continue to be ineffective in the free agent market.

I hear you. I am willing to look at the AM era as distinctly different from the prior years. I am not willing to say that just because we didn't get Tex that we are ineffective in the FA market. I think that this organization is finally headed in the right direction and that should not be lost in the mix if we do not sign Tex.

I think for some teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox it's more of a baseball decision. They've operated under the idea that if they put a good product out there it will make money, even if that product is very expensive.

Wayne H. and Peter A. have proven that you can operate a crappy baseball team and still make over a hundred million a year on it. You don't have to win to make profit.

Oh I completely agree with this. However they are the ones with the actual numbers and I guess I trust AM to determine if Tex's price tag is worth it. I guess my point of contention was the notion that our offer was cheap.

To me our offer may have been the lowest intentionally.

If I was Boras I would want Tex to sign with the O's because they are not going to spend that kind of money on any other player. By Tex not signing with the Red Sox, Angels, and Nats that will leave him more teams to go to this year with his others clients and next year for whatever FA's he has.

Archived