Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?

Frobby

Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/22 at 15:44

I am indifferent to whether Mussina should have his number retired but between him and Adam Jones there is no doubt I would prefer to see Mussina's retired.

I love Adam Jones but to be honest I think he was more influential as a personality here than as a player. 

Whatever you think about Mussina, he's a legit hall of famer and he was that level of player for us. Jones was never more than an above average player at his best, and I don't like the idea of retiring the number of an above average player at best no matter how great a character he was. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

No, he left.  You want your number retired by a team then you stay, you become that generations "Mr. [Insert team]". Gonna do the same thing to Manny too.

Manny’s a slightly different case, because he was traded.   He probably would have chosen to leave via free agency, but he wasn’t given that option. I doubt he’ll get his number retired, because he was only here for 7 seasons (two of which were partial).   Still one of the very best to wear our uniform, though.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny’s a slightly different case, because he was traded.   He probably would have chosen to leave via free agency, but he wasn’t given that option. I doubt he’ll get his number retired, because he was only here for 7 seasons (two of which were partial).   Still one of the very best to wear our uniform, though.

That's assuming he doesn't opt out and rejoin the team.  😉

18 hours ago, Gofannon said:

In 2000, two months before he hit free agency, the Orioles traded away 6 major league players (Surhoff, Bordick, Baines, Charles Johnson, Will Clark, Mike Timlin) for next to nothing. 

Hey!  Geronimo Gil once had 12 home runs in an actual major league season!

Actually, I think you're conflating the 2000 and 2001 sell offs, but nevertheless were all pretty terrible.  The return on all that was Trinidad Hubbad, Luis Rivera, Fernando Lunar, Miguel Felix, Juan Figueroa, Jason Lakman, Brook Fordyce, Leslie Brea, Mike Kinkade, Melvin Mora, Jose Leon, Mark Nussbeck, Chris Richard.  Really only Mora and arguably Fordyce were worth anything. And nobody including Syd Thrift had any inkling that then-29-year-old utility guy Mora would have 3-4 years of near-MVP level performance in him.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

By probably you mean 99.99% chance he would have signed elsewhere instead of re-upping with a team on the cusp of a long total rebuild that had failed previously to extend him when they were actually good.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hey!  Geronimo Gil once had 12 home runs in an actual major league season!

Actually, I think you're conflating the 2000 and 2001 sell offs, but nevertheless were all pretty terrible.  The return on all that was Trinidad Hubbad, Luis Rivera, Fernando Lunar, Miguel Felix, Juan Figueroa, Jason Lakman, Brook Fordyce, Leslie Brea, Mike Kinkade, Melvin Mora, Jose Leon, Mark Nussbeck, Chris Richard.  Really only Mora and arguably Fordyce were worth anything. And nobody including Syd Thrift had any inkling that then-29-year-old utility guy Mora would have 3-4 years of near-MVP level performance in him.

It would've been nice to spread those deals out over two years, but all of these deals happened in 2000.  (The SABR article will remind all of how dominant Mussina can be while also annoying Mussina detractors with his quote about remaining an Oriole)

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/august-1-2000-orioles-mike-mussina-pitches-1-hitter-and-strikes-out-15-twins/#:~:text=On August 1%2C the 2000,as relief pitcher Mike Timlin.

11 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

No, he left.  You want your number retired by a team then you stay, you become that generations "Mr. [Insert team]". Gonna do the same thing to Manny too.

10 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I am indifferent to whether Mussina should have his number retired but between him and Adam Jones there is no doubt I would prefer to see Mussina's retired.

I love Adam Jones but to be honest I think he was more influential as a personality here than as a player. 

Whatever you think about Mussina, he's a legit hall of famer and he was that level of player for us. Jones was never more than an above average player at his best, and I don't like the idea of retiring the number of an above average player at best no matter how great a character he was. 

Not that I think the Orioles should follow the Yankees lead on anything, but they have at least half a dozen retired numbers of players who aren't in the Hall.  They retired Billy Martin's number. As a player he was half as good as Rich Dauer, and as a manager he won a Series but was fired like five times because he was an unstable drunk.  They retired Reggie's number and he only played five years in NY and then left as a free agent to go to the Angels.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He seems pretty happy in San Diego.

He is pouring his heart and soul into it for Preller in a year the Padres are stretched past $200mm and have Manaea, Musgrove, Clevinger and Taylor Rogers in their walk years.   

He and Tatis are great for each other, but if Tatis proves a flimsier cornerstone than Rutschman another 1.5 seasons...Rendon left Soto.    Not that the Angels are getting strong return on their Rendon, but Rendon isn't the player Machado is.

I'll be bugged in 2025 if Adley and Grayson don't have a Correa-Harper-Machado level teammate, especially if Gunnar, 2022 pick 1-1 or anyone else can flirt with that level themselves.

19 hours ago, interloper said:

99% of me does not care a shred about this conversation, but the other 1% holds this view right here. This alone negates any dumb tweet that adult-man-named-Buster decides to regurgitate into the universe. 

The O's are not going to make their first non-hall-of-famer retiree a guy who couldn't be bothered to wear an O's hat (OR a Yankees hat). Like get real. It's nonsense to feel otherwise IMO. He only pitched here 2 years longer than Cuellar. Like... who cares???? He was a good pitcher that was here for some years. That doesn't mean we're obligated to retire his number, just like he wasn't obligated to wear anybody's hat. He chose to waffle on the fence like a weirdo. Enjoy neither time retiring your number I guess?! 

Same. Mussina could've signed here for 6 years/$72 mil but took the extra $16 mil from the hated NYers, hoping to win a ring (which thankfully he never did). Had he stayed here, he'd have a nice statue outside Oriole Park and a shiny #35 on Eutaw Street. Instead, he's a "who cares?" figure in NY (never having led them to a title, which for better or worse is the standard up there) and a pariah to many here in Baltimore. And I don't think he cares one bit... so why should we?!? I'm happy to cheer for Rutschman wearing that number.

• Like 1

If the Orioles announced that Sunday, July 10 was Mike Mussina Number Retirement Day, how many extra tickets would you expect them to sell? A few hundred, maybe? I just don't think fans are clamoring for it, I'm sure Mussina would just as soon not make the trip, so really, who cares? I don't know why so many O's fans care what Buster Olney thinks. I have literally never seen or heard anything in baseball where I thought to myself, "I wonder what Buster Olney's take on this is." 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, the reason this came up is that Rutschman is wearing it now — so it’s definitely gonna get retired when he’s done with it!

I'm reading a lot of this. Not to rain on everyone's fun, but lets be real, Rutschman will most likely play 5 years or so with the O's, then be dealt or leave for free agency. Manny should have been our next guy in the hall, and a retired number. I fear AR will go the Machado route.