Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?

Frobby

Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike Mussina’s number have been retired?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/22 at 15:44

I didn’t want to derail the thread on Adley’s debut, but SG posted this tweet from Buster Olney:

What’s your view of this?   Personally, Mussina was one of my favorite players ever, and I did not blame him one bit when he left the team.   I strongly supported his election to the Hall of Fame and of course the Orioles Hall of Fame.   But with all that said, I’m not offended that the O’s chose not to retire his number.   He chose to leave, in the prime of his career.   If the O’s had retired his number, that would have been OK with me, but I’m also OK with their decision not to retire it.  

As to Olney’s tweet, I wonder how many Hall of Famers voluntarily left their original team after 10+ years and while still in their prime.   

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes but Buster sounds as petty as Peter and that's never a good look.

I don't think Mike cares.

Buster has become all about clickbait. 

If he was so bothered about this why wait until now to complain? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Well if he has than I stand corrected. 

Basically saying Angelos being petty   

I don't specifically recall him making this exact complaint but given how much he's said over the years I think it's a safe bet this isn't new ground.

Mussina is an odd case. 

Guy is a legit HOF but he’s not an all time Yankees great and Orioles fans don’t really embrace him. He also doesn’t seem to really care. 

At this point they aren’t doing to do it. Obviously it would have been done earlier. I don’t care if they have certain criteria to have a number retired.  That said he is clearly the best player that hasn’t.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't specifically recall him making this exact complaint but given how much he's said over the years I think it's a safe bet this isn't new ground.

If he has been consistent over the years getting on the Orioles about Mussina then bringing it up now is a little easier to digest.  

I'm much of the same mind as Frobby on this one. He's a HOF pitcher and spent the bulk (albeit close) of his career in Baltimore. Typically that means your number is retired. That said, I'm not offended that the Orioles haven't gone that route. He left, splitting his career between the Orioles and Yankees and didn't go into the HOF as an Oriole (not that the hat makes that much difference, but still). He's a bit of a unique situation. If I were in charge of making the decision, I probably would retire his number, defaulting to the logic that he played 10 of 18 years in Baltimore and is HOFer. But it's a borderline decision for me given the career split. 

Mussina never seemed into any of the idolization he had here.  To me, he was never a Robinson-esque or Ripken-esque figure.  I think some tried to make him that.  But Mussina never embraced it and always seemed aloof to me.  His signing with the Yankees turned a lot of fans against him, but evidently he succeeded in alienating the guys who decide the retired numbers even more convincingly.

• Upvote 2