Position Players for the Competitive Window?

justcompete

9 hours ago, foxfield said:

I agree.  I have hoped for 67 wins getting us halfway to 82 from last years 52.  They are basically on pace to do that today.  That is pretty impressive and I am encouraged that the next few weeks gives them a chance to play some teams who are not front runners.  But the struggles this team has scoring isn't likely to vanish just becuase AR is up.  This team is improved but looks like it is teetering.  An improvement from here could carry it above 70 wins and a breakdown could plunge it back below 60.  

There are reasons to hope.  Talent growing on the farm.  Room for progress from key players like Cedric Mullins or even guys like Urias.  But whether this team breaks to the good or bad, is going to ultimately come down to how it pitches.  There is a long way to go, but so far it is much improved.

Checked the team stats today.  20th in ERA, which is not good, but still a huge improvement from dead last.

What were the O's, -300 runs last year?

9 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Is there a general consensus on the potential high impact players in the farm system now that are expected to join the ML team this year?  Any SPs beyond GR? Any position players?  Don’t follow this stuff these days as closely as I would have years ago.

DL Hall and Stowers would be the 2 others.  Not likely to see Gunnar or Westbrug although its possible.

• Upvote 1

We'll see if they can hold it four more months, but if you sketch DH/OF Stowers, 3B Henderson and 2B Urias for 500 PA roles next year, that's 8/9th with Mateo-Westburg being sort of a SS floor entering the offseason.    How their summers go will be useful info for Elias turning the pie chart dials of whatever $$$ he has.

Finding 1450 innings to be proud of probably the tougher puzzle.

Grayson 180, Hall 140, Bradish 140, Wells 140, Akin 90, Bautista 60, Means 60 gets you about 60% of the way if your favorite 800 innings show up for all 800 innings.    Lopez-Tate-Perez seem fine for another few chunks of 60 if they are still here.    Everybody pitches Pitchers 13-22 for another couple hundred innings.    

Correa-Bumgarner my favorite daydream.   Xander-Musgrove, Swanson-Manaea...all any of them cost is money.

Of the position players still in the minors, Henderson is the one guy who looks like he could be a star on a championship team.  I'm not sold on Cowser, Stowers or any of our other minor league outfielders being better than what we have in Baltimore now--ok, but won't push you towards a championship.    

Which is all a way of saying:  the O's should absolutely draft Druw Jones if they believe he has the highest upside in the draft.   There will be plenty of opportunity for him in Baltimore.