Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

I think the package of Tex and Tek is bull. However, there is a strange feeling that this is something th FO would do to land Tex.

Honestly, I'd probably do it. We could keep Wieters in AAA for most of the year and bring him up in September. Starting 2010 he'd be the O's starting catcher with Varitek backing him up.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the Orioles, they've made it clear that they have room to maneuver with their offer. They're not out of it. They're just trying to figure out how "in" they are, if that makes sense. Boras doesn't seem to be giving them a strong indication.

Not to be negative, but I don't like the above bolded statement from Roch's blog.

Honestly, I'd probably do it. We could keep Wieters in AAA for most of the year and bring him up in September. Starting 2010 he'd be the O's starting catcher with Varitek backing him up.

The only reason I do not like it is because it will probably take a multi-year deal with Tek. If this could be avoided, then yes, I would do it too. I also feel that he would not be ready for a backup role. There really isn't anyone else besides Zaun that I would want teaching Matt. I just would like it better if his contract would be smaller than expected. A two year would be fine.

I guess I'm a little AL biased. Pujols is a great hitter.

I think you could make the argument that Pujols is a better hitter than ARod. Of course, he still has multiple seasons to catch up in total stats, but could surpass ARod's totals. Also, Pujols has better postseason numbers than ARod.

You think Tek would take a 2 year deal? If he would be the back up to anyone I would imagine it would be to a GT brother, to whom he could groom into a stud catcher.

That is completely wrong on so many levels. Have you not watched Jeter play? I'm a yankee hater, and even I have recognized that they guy is a flat-out winner.

Stats are not the whole story. I lived in Philly for the majority of Bobby Abreu's years. That guy was a stat stuffer... and you know what? He wasn't even close to being a game changing leader. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Don't believe me? Go to Philly and talk to any baseball fan. On paper Abreu would have appeared to be one of the pro's best... his stats might have been better... but he wasn't a game changer.

This Teixeira guy... has he ever hoisted a team on his back and carried them? I think not. If he has, I haven't seen it. And I'm not sure you could detail a series where he sacrificed his body in the stands, or came up with amazing clutch plays on the field... or pummeled an opposing pitching staff to the point that simply walking him was almost the best solution.

You guys are talking about giving this kid one of the largest contracts in the history of the majors... and you can't even tell me, beyond a Bobby Abreu stat quote, evidence of this guys heart and game changing leadership/play.

Again, seriously? Jeter came up to a winning team SURROUNDED by talent- this allowed him to mature and grow into the leader that he is. Until this past season- Jeter had been to the playoffs for 14 STRAIGHT SEASONS. On those World Series teams that the Yankees won- Jeter was a young, solid player- NOT THE LEADER. Those teams were lead by veteran Yankees like Paul O'neill, Tino Martinez, Joe Girardi, and bernie Williams. Jeter was along for the ride- and with all of that veteran leadership, talent, and WINNING going on around him- he turned out to be the player he is today.

BUt WHAT, again, WHAT has he done to "lead a team" to a championship since then? NOTHING. I'm not trying to hate on Jeter here- I do thnk he's a future Hall of Famer- but give me a break. Comparing him to Tex in this regard is a joke.

Tex has played post season ball ONCE. ONCE. He player extremely well with the Angels last year, probably the only player who didn't wilt under the playoff pressure of playing the Red Sox- (besides Vladdy). Tex did not come up in a system that was built for winning, so it's not fair to compare him to Jeter in that way. If Tex had come up with the Yankees at the time that Jeter did- I have no doubt that he would be regarded as every bit the "leader" and player that Jeter is.

Varitek turned down what would have been approximately $10m had he accepted arbitration. He's going to push as hard as possible for a multiyear deal at big bucks. He makes absolutely no sense for this franchise and taking a player as an appetizer in order to get the entree is an absolutely awful way to run a club. Luckily I don't see that as being much of a possibility.

That is why there was much disagreement within the organization on the Beckett trade with the Marlins. There were many who felt Hanley Ramirez was too steep a price to pay. As talented Hanley is, I am happy the "Trade for Beckett," faction won that particular batter.

to land Teixeira.

Ugh, In hindsight that was a terrible trade. Yes we wouldn't have won the WS in 07, but in the long run, that trade is not beneficial.

I think you could make the argument that Pujols is a better hitter than ARod. Of course, he still has multiple seasons to catch up in total stats, but could surpass ARod's totals. Also, Pujols has better postseason numbers than ARod.

A-Rod is by far the worst hitter of the three (Manny, Pujols, and A-Rod that is)

He is a man amongst boys in the NL. Look at Manny AL east v. Manny NL. I'd like to see the numbers Pujols would put in in Boston or NY...or Baltimore!!!!

The highest BA, RBI total, most HR's, lowest ERA, most SO all belong to a NL player. Look at the SP Pujols had to bat against. They are at least as good as the best of the AL. Pujols is a great hitter, but more than that he is a great ballplayer. You can't say that bout Manny IMO.

He is a man amongst boys in the NL. Look at Manny AL east v. Manny NL. I'd like to see the numbers Pujols would put in in Boston or NY...or Baltimore!!!!

Amen to that. Look at his lifetime Batting AVG vs the Yankees with there great pitching staff over the years. He was a Yankee killer. I would be very happy if he would come to Baltimore.

Ugh, In hindsight that was a terrible trade. Yes we wouldn't have won the WS in 07, but in the long run, that trade is not beneficial.

Get ready for some Red Sox fan on Red Sox fan crime...

Are you serious?? Please tell me you are trying to be funny or demonstrate how silly we Red Sox fans can be.

In hindsight, a trade that brought a World Series win was a TERRIBLE trade?

No wonder everyone hates us.

If I call you to discuss a certain player and you steer me in the direction of other players whom you're gonna expect me to overpay for, then that's telling me that I just might not be in the running for the player I called you about. So I'm gonna act like I'm interested in those other players and when/if he signs somewhere else I'll tell you... no thank you I've decided to go in another direction. What comes around goes around Mr. Boras.

Archived