Your guess on Tuesday's starter

wildcard

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Do we still have to make up another game with the Red Sox?

We play there on August 11. Home day before and head to Tampa after the game. Up there for one game 

Monday Sept 26 was added also. We were already going there just make it a 4 game series not 3 

Have to see what happens today. Gillaspie had an economical 8th inning. Hasn’t been pushed hard lately. 

Sedlock is an obvious candidate to be sent down. I also think Diplan is possible. He threw 35 pitches Friday and 38 on Sunday. 5 walks in 3 IP. Although he was an important part of win on Friday. 

11 hours ago, justD said:

I’ve been following the team more closely than I have in years yet cannot come up with how we were pitching so well two weeks ago and now are scrambling to come up with a starter. 

This is all because of that crazy stretch without a day off?

It’s also been forever since I recall a 5-game series.

I really miss that couple who used to create the schedules on their dining room table. 

Watkins getting injured before getting an out set us back too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Looks like e bullpen game with them hoping to get two out of Baker. Think we see a lot of guys that could sent down afterwards like Sedlock and Diplan.

Why is Diplan still on the 40 man?  He’s not good.  I really wish we would stop bringing up guys like this.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is Diplan still on the 40 man?  He’s not good.  I really wish we would stop bringing up guys like this.

I'm no sure why he keeps guys like Diplan and Lakins on the roster other than they are those guys they can just use in blowouts. I'd rather have guys like Vespi and Kremer in those roles.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

We have guys who can do that who also may be part of the long term plan. Diplan isn’t that.

Yeah but the don’t want to use them in irregular roles coming out of the pen. If Diplan gets sent up and down it’s not as big of a deal. He is basically pitching in mop up duty.

Just now, eddie83 said:

Yeah but the don’t want to use them in irregular roles coming out of the pen. If Diplan gets sent up and down it’s not as big of a deal. He is basically pitching in mop up duty.

But that’s the point.  We don’t need irregular roles.  We don’t need this AAA shuttle bs.  It’s not great roster management.  It’s just screwing with guys who should be up here to stay, at least stay for a long look.

Elias isn’t being clever here.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I hope that Elias is not that dogmatic when it comes to FA pitching acquisitions. If you don't draft them and you don't sign them, you are limiting top pitching acquisitions to come only via trade. That strategy is not sustainable. Another Burnes type trade will hurt us bad. I would to go after any of the first four names on your "not in play" list. If we are letting Burnes walk out the door, most of these names cannot give you anywhere near the production and you will likely be at a disadvantage come game 1 in the playoffs. Some of the names from your "possible free agents" list should not even be considered IMO. Max Scherzer/Justin Verlander/Alex Cobb are all the end of the line and are very likely to be injured just like they were this season and the season before that. Those guys need to retire. Again, if you are not going to fish at the deep end the pool, then we will probably need two guys from your "possible free agent targets" list. Maybe Eovaldi +Montas? It's not great but gives us a shot to have a deeper rotation to go along with Eflin, Rodriguez, and Kremer. Then maybe you get Bradish back for the postseason? Maybe?
    • I’m pretty confident in saying that he won’t be the consensus #1 prospect like the others were.
    • A question precedes #2: when will the left field wall be fixed?  I think I remember Elias saying they probably went too far, which is quite literally true.  No reason they can't fix it quickly.  I had no problem with them moving it back but it is pretty absurd where it is.
    • On #3, I would guess that Elias is very wary about going longer than 3 years for a starting pitcher (maybe four years if pitcher is younger and AAV is favorable).  I think Mike and Sig believe the history of long-term SP deals isn’t favorable and the wrong deal could derail a mid-market team with dead money.  I’m not sure they are wrong (e.g., Patrick Corbin, Strasberg).   I don’t think ownership cares directly; I would guess they just give Elias an annual baseball ops budget and forecast and he can choose how he manages against that.   Not in play Gerrit Cole Corbin Burnes Max Fried Blake Snell Jack Flaherty    Possible free agent targets Yusei Kikuchi Nathan Eovaldi Nick Pivetta Sean Manaea Luis Severino Alex Cobb Max Scherzer Justin Verlander Jose Quintana Frankie Montas Spencer Turnbull Andrew Heaney Matthew Boyd   Possible trade targets Garret Crotchet Sandy Alcantera Jesus Luzardo Eduardo Cabrera Reid Detmers Emerson Hancock Jordan Montgomery Lance McCullers Jr.
    • Is Webb anything special.  I would rather replace Webb with Norfolk shuttle guy.
    • Our SS is Gunnar, our CF in this scenario would be Cowser, and C is Adley. Hopefully none of those guys are in contention for being the team's worst hitter next season. We don't need a power bat in LF - we need to add a good contact bat, that can use all fields and run.
    • Kemp was part of it but bringing back 2 UTIL IF is blocking your best prospect when your manager covets veteranosity. If they aren’t resigned then Holliday gets a longer leash. 
  • Popular Contributors