The Westburg Theory

wildcard

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Depends on how many more runs they score.  Its a trade off.  

Right now they are losing 60% of their games.  They need to make some moves that are available to them to try to improve.  Standing pat and continue to lost 60% does not sound like a solution.

Every single argument you are attempting to make on this thread is coming from this flawed premise.  You have seen the O's tank for 2019, 2020, 2021, and now 2022.  What have you seen in nearly 4 years that makes you think Elias will start making moves RIGHT NOW because he cares about the 2022 W/L record?    What is different about June 7th vs April 7th?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Mullins has been worth 1.2 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR in 1/3 of a season.  So depending on which flavor of WAR you prefer, he’s either average or somewhat above average so far this year.   I don’t think he’s going to lose any significant playing time.  

I pointed out this in another thread. While Mullins has not been the All-star player he was last year, he's still an average to slightly above average player.

35 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Every single argument you are attempting to make on this thread is coming from this flawed premise.  You have seen the O's tank for 2019, 2020, 2021, and now 2022.  What have you seen in nearly 4 years that makes you think Elias will start making moves RIGHT NOW because he cares about the 2022 W/L record?    What is different about June 7th vs April 7th?

Wildcard thinks this team can contend.

8 minutes ago, O's84 said:

LOL, this thread has a kind of JTrea against the entire board kinda feel to it.

The difference is wildcard never fights, he just says what he thinks and when people yell at him, he calmly replies. His theories might not be for everyone, but at least he isn't a dick about it. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

The difference is wildcard never fights, he just says what he thinks and when people yell at him, he calmly replies. His theories might not be for everyone, but at least he isn't a dick about it. 

JTrea was not rude about any of his theories either. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I always appreciate wildcard threads. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why?   What makes you pick June 7, 2022 as the day that, for the very first time in his tenure, Elias decides to start making moves that prioritize winning at the major league level over player development?   He didn't care about losing over 60% of games in 2019.   He didn't care about losing over 60% of his games in 2020.  He didn't care about losing over 60% of his games in 2021.   Based on the team he put together this season, he didn't care about losing over 60% of his games in 2021.

Did some sort of colored smoke come out of the warehouse chimney this morning that makes you think today is the day that for the first time that is going to change?

Elias promoted Westburg with about the same profile as Stowers.  That means by Elias standards Stowers is ready to be in the majors.   Its not winning over player development.   Its the next step in player development for Stowers and it also may help the O's win.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, I accidentally started a thread about it on the minor league board when I thought I was on this board, my mistake.

They could bring up another pitcher, but with a pretty rested bullpen and coming off a day off, I tend to think it will be a position player.   Also, we are what, less than two weeks away from it having to be a position player (13 pitcher roster limit), what is that the 19th?

It's possible that the 26th man will just be Owings coming off the bereavement list and they will keep Nevin up.   It could be Richie Martin, if they decide to put him in the Owings role.   That would necessitate a 40 man move but we have plenty of those available (what is Lakins' injury, can he move to the 60 man?)

I agree with all that.  I think they may send Nevin down at some point and keep Owings and Martin.   Martin does not play 3B as far as I know. Nevin plays 3B poorly.   Owings is better at  3B.  

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I think Adley has arrived and that has started the clock.   Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, T Wells, Bradish  all  have a chance to be parts of the future.   So is Stowers.  So when he is ready he gets promoted.  That is now or pretty close to now.

And these guys need to start winning.  Improving on the .400 win rate.   Keep building.