The Westburg Theory

wildcard

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Although "Jordan Westburg" is two trochees, there are a lot of other stress patterns in this verse. For example, "The fans began to cool, the prospect hounds began to drool" is in remarkable iambic septameter (seven consecutive unstressed/stressed feet). Bravo!

Credit to the lyricist....its a copy paste of a famous pop song with a few words switched.

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't either. 68ish wins is ok, but it's still terrible. 

You're generally going to win 54...lose 54... it's what they do in the other 54 that matters. 

81 wins is really hard to imagine next year. Outside of a few top end guys the minors looks pretty ordinary. Being this far in a rebuild and still not having any answers is sad.

Last year's team overachieved, since they won less than the 54 games any random team wins.

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Every single thing that has been done in the process has been about saving money. Any hope of contending should be based on this family selling the team. 

Unfortunately I believe this is true.  Waiting for a major move to prove me wrong.  Upping payroll, extending current players, signing major free agents.  I won't hold my breath.

My problem with the original post is the idea that playing Stowers instead of Mullins would be an upgrade to the offense.  Even if we disregard Stowers' slow start, I think the gap in pitching talent between AAA and MLB is currently so large that Stowers would struggle to hit .200 in the majors, at least as a rookie.  Look at what Adley Rutschman, Bobby Witt and Spenser Torkelson are doing in the majors.  Put differently, if you put Cedric Mullins in Norfolk, he would probably hit .400.  

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't promote Stowers.  If he's mastered AAA, then we'd might as well start him on the MLB learning curve, because it's probably going to take him a long time to acclimate to MLB pitching.   Short of an injury, the most likely way to create MLB playing time for him is to trade Trey Mancini.    

41 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Unfortunately I believe this is true.  Waiting for a major move to prove me wrong.  Upping payroll, extending current players, signing major free agents.  I won't hold my breath.

If that is true then why sign Jordan Lyles for $7 million?  I agree that is coming time to do some of the things you mentioned.  I think you can make a fair argument that up until now it made very little sense to spend any more money then they have.  

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

If that is true then why sign Jordan Lyles for $7 million?  I agree that is coming time to do some of the things you mentioned.  I think you can make a fair argument that up until now it made very little sense to spend any more money then they have.  

A few things.

It's not likely to be 7M when it is all said and done.

They needed somebody to serve as a veteran presence in the rotation and eat some innings.

I'm one of those folks that think MLB instructed teams to sign guys right before the lockout to improve optics.

I will agree that it is an outlier, just not a very big one.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A few things.

It's not likely to be 7M when it is all said and done.

They needed somebody to serve as a veteran presence in the rotation and eat some innings.

I'm one of those folks that think MLB instructed teams to sign guys right before the lockout to improve optics.

I will agree that it is an outlier, just not a very big one.

Hopefully MLB kicked in some cash, because the O's are so strapped for money.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The real question is will we call up Westburg before Gunnar?  

Or is the Thoroughbred Tandem AAA promotion a leading indicator of same MLB deal for the final month?   By September, hard to see much difference among any of Nevin, Mateo or Odor as roadblocks to anything.

I'd like to see Ramon Urias play his way back into more of a roadblock, but his 2022 has been Bottom 25% kind of season so far.

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Or is the Thoroughbred Tandem AAA promotion a leading indicator of same MLB deal for the final month?   By September, hard to see much difference among any of Nevin, Mateo or Odor as roadblocks to anything.

I'd like to see Ramon Urias play his way back into more of a roadblock, but his 2022 has been Bottom 25% kind of season so far.

Urias is more of a speed bump than a roadblock for Gunnar and Westburg.

I think you'll see Westburg and Henderson promoted together but who knows when that will be.   If it happens this season look for Odor to get moved before it happens.   Of course, the Orioles could surprise me and move Mateo or both Mateo and Odor.    I'm envisioning an infield of Henderson 3B, Mateo SS, and Westburg 2B.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think you'll see Westburg and Henderson promoted together but who knows when that will be.   If it happens this season look for Odor to get moved before it happens.   Of course, the Orioles could surprise me and move Mateo or both Mateo and Odor.    I'm envisioning an infield of Henderson 3B, Mateo SS, and Westburg 2B.

I’d prefer someone who isn’t a black hole in the lineup at SS. 

I’m envisioning an infield of Henderson at SS, Westburg at 3B, and Urias at 2B to start out 2023 with Prieto possibly overtaking Urias at some point in the season.

Mateo can be your utility infielder/pinch runner. 

• Upvote 1