Comparing the 2020 and 2022 Orioles to date (both 25-35)

Frobby

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11/14 outs via K. Faced an extra Batter because of a K wild pitch. Hitters in AAA aren’t even putting the ball in play against him.  There’s only so many bullets in an arm. Those should be fired in the MLB. 

When those bullets hit the mascot, he still needs to learn some control. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It wouldn't be a problem if the pitches they were taking were strikes.

Maybe?

We know, for instance, that the perceived strike zone varies by count.  So a pitch that is a strike on 0-0 might be called a ball on 0-2.  So if Hall is getting ahead earlier it could make it more difficult to get a called strike three.

We know that Adley is a highly regarded pitch framer who will probably get some pitches called strikes that Hall's current catcher wont.

Theoretically the Umps in the majors are superior to those in the minors and the amount of movements Hall gets on his pitches might be costing him some strike counts.

I don't think he can learn anything at AAA he can't learn in the majors.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11/14 outs via K. Faced an extra Batter because of a K wild pitch. Hitters in AAA aren’t even putting the ball in play against him.  There’s only so many bullets in an arm. Those should be fired in the MLB. 

Just saying his pitch count wouldn't be so high if he was throwing more strikes.    I have no issue with calling him up.  I already said so but I wouldn't be asking him or expecting him to go 5-6 innings.    I would call him up with the intention of having him go 3-4 innings every 5 days and maybe pair him with Bradish.

Just now, waroriole said:

When those bullets hit the mascot, he still needs to learn some control. 

I could see an argument that he needs to work on his command.  I don't think he needs to work a ton on his control.  I don't hear tell of him hitting mascots or throwing balls to the backstop.  His WP the other night was on a strike out.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe?

We know, for instance, that the perceived strike zone varies by count.  So a pitch that is a strike on 0-0 might be called a ball on 0-2.  So if Hall is getting ahead earlier it could make it more difficult to get a called strike three.

We know that Adley is a highly regarded pitch framer who will probably get some pitches called strikes that Hall's current catcher wont.

Theoretically the Umps in the majors are superior to those in the minors and the amount of movements Hall gets on his pitches might be costing him some strike counts.

I don't think he can learn anything at AAA he can't learn in the majors.

This is anecdotal but my experience watching minor league games is the the strike zone is wider and bigger than it is in the major leagues.   The hitters are more likely to be unhappy than the pitcher.    I have followed some of Halls starts on Gameday and one on milb.tv.   Again, mostly anecdotal but it's my opinion that he just has not been consistently hitting the strike zone.   I watched highlights of his 11 K's and most were swinging and it looked like his slider is coming along as a chase pitch.    That looks like it should work against ML hitters.    The old down and in slider which seems to work for any LHP who can throw it.  (Spark Lyle and Steve Carlton two of the best that come to mind).   

BTW, is Adley a highly regarded pitch framer?    I don't think umps buy into the  catch and move but I guess I'm wrong.   I did it as a little league catcher after watching games on tv.  Seemed to work with little league umpires.   I've always thought with good pitch framers it was more about body positioning, catching the ball in the middle of the body even though the glove might be a couple of inches off the zone.   When a pitcher hits the target it looks good even if it's a ball.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is anecdotal but my experience watching minor league games is the the strike zone is wider and bigger than it is in the major leagues.   The hitters are more likely to be unhappy than the pitcher.    I have followed some of Halls starts on Gameday and one on milb.tv.   Again, mostly anecdotal but it's my opinion that he just has not been consistently hitting the strike zone.   I watched highlights of his 11 K's and most were swinging and it looked like his slider is coming along as a chase pitch.    That looks like it should work against ML hitters.    The old down and in slider which seems to work for any LHP who can throw it.  (Spark Lyle and Steve Carlton two of the best that come to mind).   

BTW, is Adley a highly regarded pitch framer?    I don't think umps buy into the  catch and move but I guess I'm wrong.   I did it as a little league catcher after watching games on tv.  Seemed to work with little league umpires.   I've always thought with good pitch framers it was more about body positioning, catching the ball in the middle of the body even though the glove might be a couple of inches off the zone.   When a pitcher hits the target it looks good even if it's a ball.

So they say.

I don't trust pitch framing data and his sample size is still really small.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

4 of them got hits.  

Our lineup 1-6 is pretty tough. Even Odor at 7 isn’t killing us. If only we could add a SS & 3B, and have a tough lineup 1-9. 

The bullpen is tough 1-5 and we rotate fresh arms in the bottom slots. We have to go down to 13 pitchers on June 19 so we’ll see how that holds up. 

The rotation is the ?.  I thought it was falling apart, but we’ve had two excellent outings by Kremer and Wells recently. Adding Hall makes a ton of sense. 

When are we going to call up Hall?  Can Vavra be utilized to help the current team?  Could Vavra push Odor to 3rd?  

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our lineup 1-6 is pretty tough. Even Odor at 7 isn’t killing us. If only we could add a SS & 3B, and have a tough lineup 1-9. 

The bullpen is tough 1-5 and we rotate fresh arms in the bottom slots. We have to go down to 13 pitchers on June 19 so we’ll see how that holds up. 

The rotation is the ?.  I thought it was falling apart, but we’ve had two excellent outings by Kremer and Wells recently. Adding Hall makes a ton of sense. 

When are we going to call up Hall?  Can Vavra be utilized to help the current team?  Could Vavra push Odor to 3rd?  

I’m very concerned with the constant praise I see Hyde and reporters giving Nevin. It’s like they’re unaware that we can look up his stats and watch him play. Elias needs to get someone else up here who can play 3B. 

30 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m very concerned with the constant praise I see Hyde and reporters giving Nevin. It’s like they’re unaware that we can look up his stats and watch him play. Elias needs to get someone else up here who can play 3B. 

He hasn’t really killed us.  He’s at 0.1 rWAR.   I’d rather see him than, say, Maikel Franco.   

Next year at this time we’ll be looking at Westburg or Henderson over there, I suspect.  I’m looking forward to that.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He hasn’t really killed us.  He’s at 0.1 rWAR.   I’d rather see him than, say, Maikel Franco.   

Next year at this time we’ll be looking at Westburg or Henderson over there, I suspect.  I’m looking forward to that.  

I guess he’s slightly better than Franco was last year. Nevin is -.1 fWAR in 100ish PAs and Franco is -.7 fWAR in 400ish PAs. But with Franco you could hope for some power outbursts. With Gutierrez you could hope for some excellent defense. I don’t see anything that Nevin does well. Nothing to hope for with this guy. 

39 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I guess he’s slightly better than Franco was last year. Nevin is -.1 fWAR in 100ish PAs and Franco is -.7 fWAR in 400ish PAs. But with Franco you could hope for some power outbursts. With Gutierrez you could hope for some excellent defense. I don’t see anything that Nevin does well. Nothing to hope for with this guy. 

He took those two HBP’s like a champ yesterday.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Next *week* at this time we’ll be looking at Westburg or Henderson over there, I suspect.  I’m looking forward to that.  

Fixed that for you. (Yeah I know, can't help wishful thinking!)