Frederick Bencosme 2022

RZNJ

When I saw the 5-5 I looked at his profile and immediately noticed the 2 Ks and thought of Willians Astudillio and his all contact no matter the outcome approach. No idea if they are at all similar at the plate and I know nothing else about the kid, but if nothing else, he's making the most of his opportunity and BABIP luck. 

15 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

When I saw the 5-5 I looked at his profile and immediately noticed the 2 Ks and thought of Willians Astudillio and his all contact no matter the outcome approach. No idea if they are at all similar at the plate and I know nothing else about the kid, but if nothing else, he's making the most of his opportunity and BABIP luck. 

A lefty version of Hanser Alberto? Could be interesting. 

If nothing else, Bencosme is very interesting.  He was signed before the Covid year so he debuted in the DSL at 18 instead of 17.  He basically skipped the FCL and started in Delmarva a few weeks ago.

So, he's 19 and has just 3 strikeouts in 50 PA.  That's almost unheard of even for a slap/contact hitter these days.  Therein lies the question.  What kind of hitter is Bencosme.  In the DSL he had 6 doubles, 2 triples, and 2 Homers among his 44 hits.  That would suggest he's not totally devoid of power.   

Bencosme has played mostly SS as a pro but it's questionable where his defensive future lies although it's fair to say the Orioles see him as an infielder.  

Either way, a .391 average and 3 strikeouts for a 19 yo in low A after 50 PA is something to talk about. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Over 100 PA, hitting .367 with 9 walks and only 10 K's.  Only 3 doubles  but at 19 in Low A, this enough for me.   Impressive!!!

I know they are different players, but I looked at Adam Hall the same way when he was at Delmarva. Good average, OBP and stolen bases. However like Bencosme, no power and It never came. I know he’s young, maybe he can be Bizzaro Hall and start hitting home runs next year.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

14 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I know they are different players, but I looked at Adam Hall the same way when he was at Delmarva. Good average, OBP and stolen bases. However like Bencosme, no power and It never came. I know he’s young, maybe he can be Bizzaro Hall and start hitting home runs next year.

Some similarities but Bencosme is a year younger than Hall was at Delmarva and makes much more contact.  Hall struck out 117 times at Delmarva.   

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Some similarities but Bencosme is a year younger than Hall was at Delmarva and makes much more contact.  Hall struck out 117 times at Delmarva.   

And those lack of strike outs are a big deal especially for a guy with no power. I like Bencosme a bit, but obviously you have to hope at least some extra base pop start to come as his body matures. 

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And those lack of strike outs are a big deal especially for a guy with no power. I like Bencosme a bit, but obviously you have to hope at least some extra base pop start to come as his body matures. 

How is his defense?

Potentially utility infielder of the future candidate?

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It’s interesting that he showed a bit of pop in the DSL last summer (.141 ISO), but has shown so little this year (.032).  I know he jumped leagues, largely skipping the FCL, but that kind of jump usually results in a drop in BA or an increase in K rate, not a power shortage.  

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He showed a little pop last year in the DSL.  In 44 games, 6 doubles, 4 triples, 2 homers.   So hopefully, some power develops.