Longenhagen draft rankings

Fangraphs (led by Eric Longenhagen) has updated its Board to show 2022 Draft Rankings .   They also have detailed scouting reports on many players.  They have Drew Jones no. 1 and the only player rated at 60 FV.   Then there’s three in the 55 tier: Jackson Holliday, Brooks Lee and Termarr Johnson.  Nice reports on all these guys.  

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fangraphs (led by Eric Longenhagen) has updated its Board to show 2022 Draft Rankings .   They also have detailed scouting reports on many players.  They have Drew Jones no. 1 and the only player rated at 60 FV.   Then there’s three in the 55 tier: Jackson Holliday, Brooks Lee and Termarr Johnson.  Nice reports on all these guys.  

I'm sticking with 1) Jones )2 Holiday 3) Lee 

Some people don't want to like Lee but that's a beautiful writeup on him.    I've said it before but Lee is a more accomplished, more proven version of Termarr Johnson who can also play on the left side.    I can't understand going for Termarr over Lee if it were to come to that.

• Upvote 1

Interesting note about Jones:

Over the course of two years worth of showcase play tracked by Synergy Sports, amounting to roughly 250 swings on tape, Jones never pulled a ball to the left of the left-center field gap, and all but about a dozen of his airborne balls in play were to right field. This is a little odd, but it might be remedied with an unobtrusive mechanical tweak. 

10 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Over the course of two years worth of showcase play tracked by Synergy Sports, amounting to roughly 250 swings on tape, Jones never pulled a ball to the left of the left-center field gap, and all but about a dozen of his airborne balls in play were to right field. This is a little odd, but it might be remedied with an unobtrusive mechanical tweak. 

As long as it has nothing to do with bat speed, I wouldn't be too worried.   You could even spin it as a positive that he uses a gap to gap approach.  Better than someone who pulls everything.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

As long as it has nothing to do with bat speed, I wouldn't be too worried.   You could even spin it as a positive that he uses a gap to gap approach.  Better than someone who pulls everything.

Gap to gap implies some balls are pulled 😂. At the major league level everyone has plus velocity, that suggests he’ll have to change his swing somewhat in order to handle pro fastballs. 

I found it interesting that Jones is listed as a high risk vs Holiday as a med, despite both being HS players. I dunno I think at 1:1 I might take the player with all-star SS upside and med risk instead 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Andruw Jones made five All-Star teams and won 10 Gold Gloves in a 17-year career in the Majors, and his son reminds scouts of his father's game. Druw is taller and leaner than his dad was as a teenager, but he has similar five-tool potential as a center fielder. He improved throughout the summer on the showcase circuit and he has impressed scouts this spring with a more selective approach and more consistent at-bats. He led Wesleyan (Norcross) to the Georgia Class A private school state title en route to winning Gatorade's Georgia high school player of the year award. While Jones' right-handed swing is still somewhat of a work in progress, he understands it well, shows the ability to make adjustments and does damage against quality pitching. He already has plenty of bat speed and drives balls to the gaps, and as he fills out his 6-foot-4 frame he should develop plus power. He's a plus-plus runner when he turns on the jets and is capable of beating out ground balls to the left side. Jones is the best defensive center fielder in the 2022 high school crop and might be the best defender in the entire Draft. His speed and instincts combine to give him tremendous range and his well-above-average arm strength stands out at a position not known for many cannons. Scouts who have seen the Vanderbilt recruit take infield say he has the tools and actions to play a fine shortstop as well.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Gap to gap implies some balls are pulled 😂. At the major league level everyone has plus velocity, that suggests he’ll have to change his swing somewhat in order to handle pro fastballs. 

I found it interesting that Jones is listed as a high risk vs Holiday as a med, despite both being HS players. I dunno I think at 1:1 I might take the player with all-star SS upside and med risk instead 

It’s a good thing he’s not goi g to be facing major league pitchers yet. LOL

He has an opposite field approach, not a slow bat. Letting the ball travel is not a bad thing. When he gets filled out and the man muscle comes, he’ll be great. 

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's interesting to look at the last 5 years of their (FanGraphs) original draft grade projections, and the only other projected 60 grade draft prospect was some kid name Adley. 

Necessary caveat to state they have had different people/collaborators over the last 5 years working those projection lists who approach prospect grades differently, but still interesting to me Jones and Adley are the only two projected 60's in the last five years.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

It’s a good thing he’s not goi g to be facing major league pitchers yet. LOL

He has an opposite field approach, not a slow bat. Letting the ball travel is not a bad thing. When he gets filled out and the man muscle comes, he’ll be great. 

Yep!    If he's the pick, I'll hope for the Lorenzo Cain type things early, and hope he'll grow his way up the Andruw Jones slugging spectrum in time.   

If he wasn't Andruw's son, wonder if Buxton comps would be percolating?    Even if he never learns to slug as Byron has, he could approach his output with more quantity if his physicality just lets him show up for work all season long without incident.

• Like 1

Last week in booth Kevin Brown and Ben McDonald during a Mullins at-bat mentioned another riser from Mullins' Campbell University alma mater.    I missed the name but see in Longenhagen's board he must love the guy as he rates him #5 in the draft, and near 50-ish overall MLB-wide.

In time that might be as fun for Cedric as Ryan Mountcastle getting Riley Greene from his high school up into the Show.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Yep!    If he's the pick, I'll hope for the Lorenzo Cain type things early, and hope he'll grow his way up the Andruw Jones slugging spectrum in time.   

If he wasn't Andruw's son, wonder if Buxton comps would be percolating?    Even if he never learns to slug as Byron has, he could approach his output with more quantity if his physicality just lets him show up for work all season long without incident.

I think he favors Julio Rodriguez’s game. Not saying he is going to be Julio,  but the body type, profile  and athleticism remind me of him. The way he competes.

When Druw fills out, I hope he is as well muscled as Buxton. Lo Cain was such a good player. I’d love to have a player in that realm in CF for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Last week in booth Kevin Brown and Ben McDonald during a Mullins at-bat mentioned another riser from Mullins' Campbell University alma mater.    I missed the name but see in Longenhagen's board he must love the guy as he rates him #5 in the draft, and near 50-ish overall MLB-wide.

In time that might be as fun for Cedric as Ryan Mountcastle getting Riley Greene from his high school up into the Show.

They were talking about the SS, Zach Neto. Good player. 

Hagerty HS has produced some hitters, and a pitcher named Zac Eflin. The Braves have another one from there in AA OF Vaughn Grissom. He is tearing it up. They have some pretty good pitching coming too. Talan Bell is a name to watch for 2023. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think he favors Julio Rodriguez’s game. Not saying he is going to be Julio,  but the body type, profile  and athleticism remind me of him. The way he competes.

When Druw fills out, I hope he is as well muscled as Buxton. Lo Cain was such a good player. I’d love to have a player in that realm in CF for a long time. 

Obviously you have to hit to play, but I wonder what if any other prospects have compared to Druw for projected defensive value?    If he becomes the pick, I look forward to some Defense Never Slumps hosannas getting thrown around.

As I recall in the early years, the Rays told Kiermaier don't worry, you're in the bottom of the lineup every day.   At another position, Yadi Molina's glove carried him to value while he basically took half a decade to learn how to hit (a little).

• Like 1