2022 3rd Round Pick (#81): Nolan McLean- P - (Jr) Oklahoma State University

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The question is:  Was there a physical or did it never get to that point?    There is no bitterness for finger pointing in his post.  He also says he learned about the organization.  Hmmm.   Did he come to Baltimore?

Well...technically speaking he is pointing his finger...

(sorry, bad joke.)

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Seems like a weak excuse especially on a day you just traded for a pitcher who is undergoing TJ.

Disagree completely.  First the TJ is a known quantity at this point.   Second,  it's about money and risk and rightfully so.  They guy we've traded for we know what he can do and we've seen the results of TJ.  With McLean I imagine we had an agreeded upon number, maybe even overslot to some degree.  Medicals come back questionable so we asked for a reduction due to the increased risk of injury and likelihood of it being a poor investment.  He wanted more than we were willing to pay once we knew all the facts.   It happens.  Not really anyone right or wrong here. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Seems like a weak excuse especially on a day you just traded for a pitcher who is undergoing TJ.

Several pitchers who were drafted had TJ too, but they all fell in the draft somewhat due to it. You don't get Johnson for Mancini if he was healthy either. Injuries increase risk, and therefore impact value. I suspect they were still willing to sign him...just not at the number he wanted. That's not a weak excuse, its economics 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Disagree completely.  First the TJ is a known quantity at this point.   Second,  it's about money and risk and rightfully so.  They guy we've traded for we know what he can do and we've seen the results of TJ.  With McLean I imagine we had an agreeded upon number, maybe even overslot to some degree.  Medicals come back questionable so we asked for a reduction due to the increased risk of injury and likelihood of it being a poor investment.  He wanted more than we were willing to pay once we knew all the facts.   It happens.  Not really anyone right or wrong here. 

The Os drafted him high and they did so likely knowing everything about his physical.  It didn’t come up after the fact.

He was a guy they took despite the injury and then failed to sign him.  That’s not a good look.  I’m not saying it’s some awful thing but it’s not a good look.

Just now, seak05 said:

Several pitchers who were drafted had TJ too, but they all fell in the draft somewhat due to it. You don't get Johnson for Mancini if he was healthy either. Injuries increase risk, and therefore impact value. I suspect they were still willing to sign him...just not at the number he wanted. That's not a weak excuse, its economics 

Then they shouldn’t have drafted him.  I care a lot more that they drafted Him to begin with than he failure to sign him.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os drafted him high and they did so likely knowing everything about his physical.  It didn’t come up after the fact.

He was a guy they took despite the injury and then failed to sign him.  That’s not a good look.  I’m not saying it’s some awful thing but it’s not a good look.

Are you suggesting that the Orioles knew his exact physical issues before the draft, offered him a number, and then reneged on the original deal?

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Then they shouldn’t have drafted him.  I care a lot more that they drafted Him to begin with than he failure to sign him.

Meh. HE still could have signed for slot (or even slightly more) and obviously chose not to. The team is able to recoup a 2023 supplemental pick. All good.

Rob.  To be clear here.....neither you nor I are in the room with Elias and his crew.  So we don't know exactly what they knew or didn't know.  The one report we DO have from Callis suggested that this issue came up on a "post-draft" physical.  So if anything it suggests this was new information that they didn't have on draft day.

I think it's a bit strange to assume immediately that Callis's information might be incorrect or something.  

Edited by Aglets
  • Upvote 3

Very doubtful.  To my understanding, the real physical examination does not happen until after the draft.  So unless you know something I don't, it's entirely unlikely they knew everything about his 'physical'.  The Mets would not have drafted Rocker where they did last year if they knew all of his physical issues.  So yes, these things DO come up after the fact.  You are making TONS of assumptions here, and that's 'not a good look'.  You can claim they took him despite the injury, but unless you can prove they knew about it then you are simply making up crap.  Again, this happens a few times almost each and every year, where a team backs off of a player after seeing results of the team physical.  It happened to the Mets last year.  It happened to us this year.  It happens.  No reason to really throw blame on management or the Orioles here in this situation.  But I know that doesn't fit the narrative you seem to have, so I'm sure you will continue on.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Rob.  To be clear here.....neither you nor I are in the room with Elias and his crew.  So we don't know exactly what they knew or didn't know.  The one report we DO have from Callis suggested that this issue came up on a "post-draft" physical.  So if anything it suggests this was new information that they didn't have on draft day.

I think it's a bit strange to assume immediately that Callis's information might be incorrect or something.  

Yup.  This happens to some degree every year, a team gets to do their own physical after the draft or gains access to additional information and then that changes the value of the player in their eyes, so things fall apart.  It happened to the Mets last year and now apparently us this year.  Doesn't mean there was any 'bad actors' or that anyone failed to perform their due diligence or that anyone negotiated in bad faith, as had been suggested in this thread.  It could truly be as simple as the situation was not as the Orioles believed, therefore the amount of money they were willing to risk decreased to a level that McLean wouldn't accept.  It sucks, but it happens.  Doesn't mean there is actual blame anywhere.