2022 7th Round Pick (#197): Preston Johnson - RHP - (Sr) Mississippi State

2022 7th Round Pick (#197):  Preston Johnson - RHP - (Sr) Mississippi State

Stats

Clarion Ledger: Various reports have given various landing rounds for Preston Johnson, ranging from the first 10 rounds to the last couple. Johnson became a starter for Mississippi State in 2022 and was reliable though at times inconsistent. He had a tendency to allow home runs (18) which wasn’t an issue unless he was also walking hitters. From his build to his approach, Johnson has many qualities similar to White Sox pitcher and former Ole Miss Rebel Lance Lynn.

His curveball in 2021:

Initial Take: This looks more like one of Elias' classic 11th round plus pitching selections. Most likely an underslot. Seems like a plus person though.

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2022 7th Round Pick (#197): Preston Johnson - RHP - (Sr) Mississippi State
14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

2022 7th Round Pick (#197):  Preston Johnson - RHP - (Sr) Mississippi State

Stats

Clarion Ledger: Various reports have given various landing rounds for Preston Johnson, ranging from the first 10 rounds to the last couple. Johnson became a starter for Mississippi State in 2022 and was reliable though at times inconsistent. He had a tendency to allow home runs (18) which wasn’t an issue unless he was also walking hitters. From his build to his approach, Johnson has many qualities similar to White Sox pitcher and former Ole Miss Rebel Lance Lynn.

His curveball in 2021:

Holy Smolly ….We drafted a real pitcher. The curveball looks Olson like.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• As of today, we have 3 lefties in the OF. He will have plenty of at bats here.  I wouldn't start him everyday persay but 350-450 at bats will be fine.
    • For me, he’d be the 4th outfielder so he’d likely have to do both. He could spell all three of Mullins/Cowser/Kjerstad at any given time. I would argue positionally a RH OF might be out biggest need in fact, so if not O’Neil, someone else of that ilk. 
    • I would consider adding Tommy Pham in our McKenna/Slater role......he's a better bat and it pretty much guarantees that we'll be in the playoffs again.  He always gets there. Yes, I'm serious.
    • Alonso would be the worst possible signing for us. All he does is hit for power, and even that might be waning, even before you stick him in Oriole Park with that LF wall. That is the hardest of passes.    Martinez is very meh. That dude is going to fall off a cliff at some point soon, I’d rather it not be while the Os are paying him.    Could get on board with O’Neill for sure, if the price is reasonable. Major upgrade over the Slater/Hays combo from 2024, if he could stay healthy. 
    • So, you would be okay putting him in left field, or a you thinking of him platooning in right with Kjerstad?
    • A lot of good stuff here: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/10/07/mlb-orioles-rubenstein I particularly like the following quote: “I’ve written some big checks for Carlyle over the years, so we’ve put alot of money into deals and it’s not like I’m going to have a shock at the size of the dollars that might be involved,” he said. “The trick is getting the opportunity to do that.”
    • Lot of great crowds at these games so far in fact (throwing stuff onto the field notwithstanding). Yankees crowd I must begrudgingly admit was pretty raucous you could hear drum beats, maybe the occasional horn, in addition to their usual annoying chanting and sound effects. Phillies always have great crowds. SD and LA turning it up a notch. Detroit and Mets and KC will almost certainly add to that list shortly. Makes it that much more fun to watch. 
  • Popular Contributors