Two moves I hope Elias makes for the 2nd Half

wildcard

Hard to argue. I'm ready for Hall in the majors for sure.

Could add Westburg up for Nevin or Odor.

Will need to wait a little longer for Stowers, I'd guess. Same for Henderson, though I know people are saying he and Westburg are tied together.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Hard to argue. I'm ready for Hall in the majors for sure.

Could add Westburg up for Nevin or Odor.

Will need to wait a little longer for Stowers, I'd guess. Same for Henderson, though I know people are saying he and Westburg are tied together.

Curious to hear why you think Henderson needs more time. He's playing extremely well. He doesn't have the exact pedigree that Manny did, but he was a high pick, and is not struggling in any phase. Being able to replace Odor (I'd option Nevin and keep Odor as a pinch hitter) in the everyday lineup by starting Henderson at 3rd and moving Urias over to 2nd would be a significant gain overall as long as Urias can turn a double play effectively. 

I'd also like to see Hall up. Let him come out of the bullpen for a bit to keep his innings down perhaps. Not worried about any OFers at this point as our top 3 are established and playing well together. It's a really strong group when they're all hitting. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Curious to hear why you think Henderson needs more time.

I honestly don't think he needs more time. If I had my druthers, I'd have an infield with Henderson, Westburg, Urias and Mountcastle.

Vavra would play 2B, OF and maybe DH some.

• Upvote 1

Vavra seems like a no brainer. He doesn't need to play every day and could be used in a variety of roles without taking anyone's full time job, plus he has the most AB's at AAA.

Hall is slightly less of a no brainer. The walks still bother me, and I'm not clear how many innings they are willing to give him or in what role. I would still support bringing him up now but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen right away. 

Big question is when they make the call on Gunnar and/or Westburg. May depend on trade deadline moves and where we are in standings. I am guessing Elias wants them to get at least 50 games at minimum. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Vavra seems like a no brainer. He doesn't need to play every day and could be used in a variety of roles without taking anyone's full time job, plus he has the most AB's at AAA.

Hall is slightly less of a no brainer. The walks still bother me, and I'm not clear how many innings they are willing to give him or in what role. I would still support bringing him up now but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen right away. 

Big question is when they make the call on Gunnar and/or Westburg. May depend on trade deadline moves and where we are in standings. I am guessing Elias wants them to get at least 50 games at minimum. 

There is zero reason for Hall to stay in the minors.  He only has 30ish innings left for this season.  He needs to get his feet wet up here and start experiencing these hitters.

He has been completely dominant this month.  Nothing left to show down there that he can’t deal with up here.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I honestly don't think he needs more time. If I had my druthers, I'd have an infield with Henderson, Westburg, Urias and Mountcastle.

Vavra would play 2B, OF and maybe DH some.

Yep.

Mateo would still play a lot too.  

Best for now and the future and the future is more important.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo is going to have a lot of trade value if he continues to hit and play SS the rest of the season.

If the Os are looking for a starter that is controllable for multiple years and it isn’t a salary dump potential guy like Snell, I wonder if they try to move Mateo in the deal right now?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo is going to have a lot of trade value if he continues to hit and play SS the rest of the season.

OPS at .610, he's going to have to catch fire to get above .700.  I don't know about "a lot" of trade value, but if he wins the GG, leads the league in SBs, and can get up close to .680 OPS, he will have some value for sure.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

OPS at .610, he's going to have to catch fire to get above .700.  I don't know about "a lot" of trade value, but if he wins the GG, leads the league in SBs, and can get up close to .680 OPS, he will have some value for sure.

I agree, it's just a matter of what that "some" value is. If you can use him as more than a throw-in for a pitcher, it's worth it, but if the team is just trading him to clear SS and all that's out there for him is a flyer or two, I wouldn't mind keeping him as a utility infielder/pinch runner. A bench next year of Mateo, Urias/Vavra, and McKenna (plus a backup catcher) would be interesting. 

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If the Os are looking for a starter that is controllable for multiple years and it isn’t a salary dump potential guy like Snell, I wonder if they try to move Mateo in the deal right now?

I don't think Mateo goes back to San Diego, but I would hope the O's would be open to such a deal. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is zero reason for Hall to stay in the minors.  He only has 30ish innings left for this season.  He needs to get his feet wet up here and start experiencing these hitters.

He has been completely dominant this month.  Nothing left to show down there that he can’t deal with up here.

Do you think he pretty immediately will be more successful than some of the pitchers currently in our rotation?  They’ve been on a pretty good roll, 3.06 ERA since June 16 over 28 games.   

16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I don't think anyone evaluating Mateo would focus too much on his season batting statistics. He's clearly a better hitter now than he was earlier in the season. The question is how much better.

I doubt that Elias will trade him until he's seen one of Westburg or Henderson in the ML, or a little of Holliday in the MiL. With those three, Vavra, Mateo and Urias, we may soon have excess young talent in the IF, but I'm not ready to conclude that's the case.

And while I don't claim to know what Elias is up to, he's been consistent so far about not being in a hurry to trade young talent or to increase the payroll. I know there's been lots of talk about the Orioles flipping a switch, and then getting more aggressive about trading for established players and increasing the payroll. I'm not sure that's going to happen at all, much less that the time for it has arrived from Elias's and Angelos's perspective.