Two moves I hope Elias makes for the 2nd Half

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

With his arm and speed, would it be possible to teach Mateo how to play some outfield?  This would expand his usefulness to a team and increase his ability to stay in the field. 

His glove isn't the problem.  Why move him to a less important defensive position?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Mateo is hitting well he is the best SS the O's have. A better  SS than Gunnar or Westburg.   He would be part of a winning formula.   I think many posters underestimate how much Mateo defense contributes to the O's winning.   

The question is can he hit well in the majors.  And we don't know yet.  He has improved his hitting in July but there is not enough data to be conclusive.

What constitutes “hitting well?”   He’s at .822 over his last 20 games.   I’d certainly call that “hitting well” and advocate that he should be playing every day so long as that continues.  His season OPS is .610 and I do not consider that to be “hitting well,” though perhaps it is still sufficient to justify playing him, since he’s managed to be worth 1.8 rWAR while compiling that OPS.  The odds are against Henderson or Westburg producing at a level better than that in 2022.  

• Upvote 1

What are the "variety of roles" Vavra could play exactly? He won't start over Odor at 2B because they both bat left-handed and Odor has endeared himself to Hyde as a steady player. He can't play 3B. Hyde probably trusts McKenna much more as a defensive replacement, although I suppose Vavra's lefty bat could factor in a bit when resting Mullins. 

I've been trying to tell people, he's not a utility player. If Arauz is warming the bench while able to play all over, Vavra would be too. It's going to take an injury, a trade, or Mike will have to muscle Hyde a little.

But for the record, I do think he should be up and starting over Odor.

12 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I would argue that baserunning is part of the offense. If you change a single into a double for each SB, and change a single into an out for each CS, then his OPS would be more like .660. I can live with that number with his defense.

Bb-ref and Fangraphs calculate that Mateo’s baserunning has been worth 3-4 runs this year.   Is that worth 50 OPS points?   I don’t know, but will try to find out.  

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His glove isn't the problem.  Why move him to a less important defensive position?

I wouldn't move him just for the sake of moving him. But if the goal is to keep him as a utility player/late-inning pinch runner or defensive replacement, the more positions he can play the better for him and the team.  If the goal is for him to be the long-term solution at short stop, no need worry about other positions at all.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bb-ref and Fangraphs calculate that Mateo’s baserunning has been worth 3-4 runs this year.   Is that worth 50 OPS points?   I don’t know, but will try to find out.  

Mateo, -11 Rbat in 303 PA, .610 OPS

Andrus, -2 Rbat in 312 PA, .651 OPS

That suggests to me that 3-4 baserunning runs is not worth 50 OPS points, more like 15-20 (over a 300 PA span).

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

What are the "variety of roles" Vavra could play exactly? He won't start over Odor at 2B because they both bat left-handed and Odor has endeared himself to Hyde as a steady player. He can't play 3B. Hyde probably trusts McKenna much more as a defensive replacement, although I suppose Vavra's lefty bat could factor in a bit when resting Mullins. 

I've been trying to tell people, he's not a utility player. If Arauz is warming the bench while able to play all over, Vavra would be too. It's going to take an injury, a trade, or Mike will have to muscle Hyde a little.

But for the record, I do think he should be up and starting over Odor.

Hyde will probably at least try to get Vavra at bats at 2B because of his .400 OBP.  Odor has a .263 OBP currently.    I could see them sharing 2B.   Between Odor's power and Vavra's high OBP they might average out to a pretty good offensive 2B.

The question is can Vavra turn the double play at an acceptable rate.  His range at 2B looks pretty good.  His range is CF does not. I can't see him playing CF over Mullins, McKenna or Hays.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mateo, -11 Rbat in 303 PA, .610 OPS

Andrus, -2 Rbat in 312 PA, .651 OPS

That suggests to me that 3-4 baserunning runs is not worth 50 OPS points, more like 15-20.   

A lot of studies have shows that stolen bases have a limited impact on runs scored. I think stolen base attempts are incredibly fun plays, but they don't move the needle as much as many fans think or hope. 

57 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

With his arm and speed, would it be possible to teach Mateo how to play some outfield?  This would expand his usefulness to a team and increase his ability to stay in the field. 

He has done really well catching some fly ball/pop-ups to the shallow outfield. I

If he could play the OF real well, and if the rest of the infielders were pretty sold defensively, he could be useful as a  defensive backup at OF as well as IF positions, and could stay in the game after pinch running for OFers. That would enable the team to carry a fourth outfielder/pinch hitter who could hit a little, even if he weren't great defensively.

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

What WAR value would you assign to Odor’s energy and leadership?

I would give Odor +2 WAR for his mojo and leadership.  It more than makes up for his actual play.  Ideal would be that he not play at all and his clubhouse presence would not be counteracted by his play. 

I know people think leadership having a positive value is crazy, but there is a big difference between a dead clubhouse w players going thru the motions (2018 O's a prime example) and a clubhouse of excited, motivated players working together (2022 O's).

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would give Odor +2 WAR for his mojo and leadership.  It more than makes up for his actual play.  Ideal would be that he not play at all and his clubhouse presence would not be counteracted by his play. 

I know people think leadership having a positive value is crazy, but there is a big difference between a dead clubhouse w players going thru the motions (2018 O's a prime example) and a clubhouse of excited, motivated players working together (2022 O's).

That’s crazy. I think half a win would be generous.

Of course there is no way to quantify it. Winning brings positivity. Not vice versa.

• Upvote 2