Monday August 1: Orioles visit Texas

SteveA

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This has to be the worse broadcast I've seen. Either way too far out, or way too zoomed in. 

This is awful are they using drones to broadcast the game? I don't think, I've ever seen zoom in and zoom out shots like this on a baseball broadcast before. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

The way she phrases things is just very awkward 

Vavra flies a ball out to CF and she says Vavra up the middle like it was a groundball. Maybe she can’t see very well. Anyone thought to get her glasses?

But bless her heart she does try hard. 

6 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I really want Melanie Newman to succeed. But it seems like she has a long way to go. She is trying so hard to be... sensational... memorable... and it just doesn't work for me... yet 

Newman is still doing better job then when she announces games on Apple TV. She wouldn't stop talking during the Orioles game on Apple TV earlier this season.

I tuned in after a couple innings and it took me over an inning to realize Cliff Floyd was the color commentator because Newman wouldn't let him get a word in. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, Jagwar said:

Does it seem like she's changing the tone of her voice to be more... masculine? (I may get slammed for that)

No (and you mean deeper). Any announcer wants to be able to go up and down octaves, but her speaking voice is an alto. 

That said, this is something that has happened to a lot of female announcers (you also see it in music) where people are used to a male voice, and so they respond more positively to male voices, and criticize female voices more. It's one reason just having representation is important, because you are acclimatizing people to hearing a variety of different voices and being receptive to them 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Newman is still doing better job then when she announces games on Apple TV. She wouldn't stop talking during the Orioles game on Apple TV earlier this season.

I tuned in after a couple innings and it took me over an inning to realize Cliff Floyd was the color commentator because Newman wouldn't let him get a word in. 

I’ve heard Cliff Floyd on pregame and actually calling a game. If she was talking over him, she did everyone a favor. He is truly awful. I don’t know how he got that job.