Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

1 hour ago, Gentile4 said:

Jorge Lopez ERA

2018  5.03

2019   6.33

2020  6.34

2021  6.07 

Just sayin'

Agreed. A lot of people valuing Lopez based on a 48 inning sample size.

Maybe he's turned the corner, but I would prefer to think that the front office that found Lopez as a waiver claim and developed him into an All-Star closer has better context for making this move than we do.

What's amazing to me is how many journeymans the O's have turned into dependable relievers. Apparently their pitching coaches know what the heck they are doing.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think Bautistas presence means you get rid of Lopez for too little.

No, it means you move him while his stock is at his highest for the most you can get. That's what Elias did. If Povich bombs and none of the other guys work out, then you can say they didn't pick the right guys, but without video scouting any of these guys yet, it looks like enough promise for me for a guy with about 56 innings of quality relief work under his belt.

Personally, I think Elias showed he can build a bullpen from the scraps of other organizations and by converting the right starters to relievers. Who says he can't find another Lopez? Who says he doesn't already have him in the organization?

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, terpfan101 said:

Not a terrible trade at first appearance, hopefully one of these guys becomes a #3/4 starter in which case this trade is an easy win. I just would have preferred quality over quantity. I certainly don't have the eye to judge these players but in looking at the Twins top prospects list, would have rather had 2-3 total players headlined by a guy like Steve Hajjar, Matt Canterino, or Marco Raya.

I suppose they weren't offering that but seems like so many of the O's trades since the Syd Thrift demolition in 2000 have been a great player for 4-5 guys and with biggest exception the Bedard trade (Jones and Tillman, not to mention a useful Sherrill) and Mike Bordick trade (Melvin Mora), most of the others have failed to produce anyone of significant value. This exercise was quite fun!

• Mike Bordick to the Mets. Received Pat Gorman, Leslie Brea, Mike Kinkade and Melvin Mora. (1 of 4)
  • Harold Baines and Charles Johnson to the Chicago White Sox. Received Miguel Felix (minors), Juan Figueroa (minors), Jason Lakman (minors) and Brook Fordyce. (0 of 4)
  • B.J. Surhoff and Gabe Molina to the Atlanta Braves. Received Trent Hubbard, Fernando Lunar and Luis Rivera. (0 of 3)
  • Sidney Ponson to the San Francisco Giants. Received Ryan Hannaman (minors), Kurt Ainsworth and Damian Moss. (0 of 3)
  • Miguel Tejada to the Houston Astros. Received Matt Albers, Mike Costanzo, Troy Patton, Dennis Sarfate and Luke Scott. (1.5 of 5 - Patton as .5 and Scott as 1)
  • Erik Bedard to the Seattle Mariners. Received Tony Butler (minors), Adam Jones, Kam Mickolio, George Sherrill and Chris Tillman. (2.5 of 5)
  • Ramon Hernandez and cash to the Cincinnati Reds. Received Brandon Waring (minors), Ryan Freel and Justin Turner. (0 of 3 - of note Turner became good after us)
  • Manny Machado to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Yusniel Diaz (minors), Rylan Bannon, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera. (Jury is still out here...maybe .5 of 5 for Kremer)
  • Zack Britton to the New York Yankees. Received Cody Carroll, Josh Rogers and Dillon Tate. (1 of 3)
  • Kevin Gausman and Darren O'Day to the Atlanta Braves. Received Brett Cumberland (minors), JC Encarnación (minors), Evan Phillips, Bruce Zimmermann and international bonus slot money. (0 of 4 right now with maybe Zimm as a possible hit)
  • Jonathan Schoop to the Milwaukee Brewers. Received Jean Carmona (minors), Luis Ortiz and Jonathan Villar. (1 of 3 for Villar)
  • Dylan Bundy to the Los Angeles Angels. Received Kyle Brnovich (minors), Zach Peek (minors), Kyle Bradish and Isaac Mattson. (.5 of 4 at the moment for Bradish)

So in 22 years all of the trades of 1 or 2 O's in exchange for 3 or more players, I'd say 8 of 46 players received have been a success for the O's and 4 of 8 of those have come in two trades by MacPhail. I wonder how many of those were by design to get quantity or could we have had 1 higher rated player which may have hit.

Wow this brings back some memories and shows how much of a crap shoot these trades are in a sell off!

Just a quick note on Juan Rojas, his 9.5 K/BB rate is top 10 among all MiL pitchers who have thrown at least 30 innings this year. And of that top 10, his K rate of 11.4 ranks second-highest (many of the guys higher than him in K/BB are artificially inflated in that measure by absurdly microscopic BB rates, which mean very little to me in terms of long-term upside). He’s also the second-youngest among that top 10.**

I know baseball analysis has moved well past the point of just using K and BB rates to judge pitching prospects, but as a quick back-of-the-napkin measure, I think it gives a decent picture of a kid’s ability to throw strikes while also missing bats. Seems like a promising sign that he’s showing both of those traits at such a young age. 

** Note: the younger guy and the higher K rate guy were both the same person, fellow Twins farmhand Cristian Jimenez. Pretty impressive achievement for MIN’s rookie league development group.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, it means you move him while his stock is at his highest for the most you can get. That's what Elias did. If Povich bombs and none of the other guys work out, then you can say they didn't pick the right guys, but without video scouting any of these guys yet, it looks like enough promise for me for a guy with about 56 innings of quality relief work under his belt.

Personally, I think Elias showed he can build a bullpen from the scraps of other organizations and by converting the right starters to relievers. Who says he can't find another Lopez? Who says he doesn't already have him in the organization?

Vallimont, Denoyer, Watson come to mind as pitchers who might have the jump in stuff and two pitch mix that might play up in the pen.  And of course, Bradish if he doesn't survive the rotation.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Vallimont, Denoyer, Watson come to mind as pitchers who might have the jump in stuff and two pitch mix that might play up in the pen.  And of course, Bradish if he doesn't survive the rotation.

Don't sleep on Armbruester either.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t trade Lyles, just as I wouldn’t have dealt Lopez.

But Tate and Santander likely won’t see their values any higher than right now.  Gotta move them imo.

I would rather have moved Tate than Lopez, but I’m not sure Elias will move both.   Guess we’ll know in 140 minutes.  

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Robertson to Phillies for their 27th prospect Ben Brown.  I guess solid late inning relievers like Lopez/Robertson just aren't fetching much this deadline. 

Panel on MLB Network starting to wonder what if anything going on with relievers on Tigers Royals type teams.

Saying now Twins acquiring Tyler Mahle to go with their Jorge Lopez.