That's discipline.

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, byrdz said:

What’s the hurry to trade Santander? I guess everyone should be available. But just wondering why his name keeps coming up.

Because he’s healthy and performing (that combo has been very rare for him) and we have a slew of OF prospects, one of which is ready yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

They shipped Lopez out for basically 4 projects that hints more trades could be coming.

I agree - no way to know if this is true, and I'm sure they don't think this way in the FO, but it feels like a trade you make when you know you're making more trades. If you know what I mean. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tip of the cap to Mike Elias for sticking to his plan and not letting pollyanna fans think that this is a year they should be going "all in" in an attempt to get a third wild card berth. 

Good to know we've got a GM who's not resting until his plan is complete.  That's discipline and not chasing shiny objects.  Any fans who are pissed off about this will most likely forget how they felt in early August 2022 in a year or so when there's a legit contender on the field.  

Mike, if you're reading, now trade Santander, too.  Keep it going.

This is exactly right.  It'll be even more frustrating for many when I suspect next year will also not be "all in" to get a playoff spot.  I suspect next year is going to be all about seeing what they have - lots of ABs for prospects at the expense of W/L record in 2023.  I see the offseason after the 2023 season as when moves are made to optimize W/L record in 2024 and beyond.  That is when I think this team starts going all-in.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Arms don’t mean much if they aren’t quality.

You don’t know much about the FCL guys, I assume, but the two from Tampa and the two known from Minn are quality for sure. Will they develop is anyone’s guess, but they’re quality guys to work with.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

You don’t know much about the FCL guys, I assume, but the two from Tampa and the two known from Minn are quality for sure. Will they develop is anyone’s guess, but they’re quality guys to work with.

They are fine..you could always get arms like them.  They are readily available in deals.  Every team has them.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think there's any reason for fans to forget chasing the wild card. We put up 7 runs last night without Trey and with Odor and McKenna in the lineup. Mullins and Mountcastle finally broke out a bit. The bullpen is still very strong. Not a whole lot has changed honestly. Next man up. People have no problem saying this re: the Ravens. The O's finally have some prospects worthy of being the next man up. 

Not to knock Trey, but look how Vavra's speed played up into an infield single and then scored with speed. This kind of tradeoff is still winning baseball. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• They are too good a team for this to continue.  Right now it is something different every night.  They hit and the pitching sucks.  Pitching is good and the bats are cold.  Throw-in some occasional bad defense, 4 unearned runs last night and you get a losing streak. The 83 O's had 2 seven game losing streaks to keep things in perspective. 
    • The good thing about the current playoff setup is that you do not have to panic.  Back when only the division winners made the playoffs, you could not fall too far behind.  After losing 5 games in a row, the O's are still only 2 games out of first for the division and are 7 games up in the wildcard.   Elias has to wait over the next month to see exactly what the team needs.  If you try to make a trade at this time, you are going to overpay because the other teams are waiting for the deadline to hope a team becomes desperate.  You also have the issue of a most of the NL teams being in contention for the wildcard, not many sellers out there.  In another month, hopefully a few more NL teams realize they need to sell and that widens the trade market hopefully driving the price down for what has to be given up.  
    • I’m not going to deny it, when watching the Mays tributes and they spoke of the kid from Alabama  who could do it all, my thoughts drifted to the Orioles young star.  I had to remind myself of how Griffey Jr. and now Trout faded after generating breathless excitement in the first portion of their careers.  It can be a cruel game.
    • I think he will ultimately end up too big, 
    • A big 4 hit game. 2nd highest OPS on the team at .853.  If we didn’t have Adley, or Gunnar, everyone would be walking around in Westburg jerseys. 
    • First of all, I'm talking about his plan for the Orioles moving forward. I get what the front office was doing early on. Turning around a very bad team by drafting high, picking high upside college hitters the might quickly improve the club. And he's done a helluva job drafting positional talent. But I never understood his reluctance to draft top end college pitching talent. So what we have is a minor league system system of super talented hitters who are blocked from making the bigs because there's literally too many of them. On the flip side there's little to no major league quality pitching talent at all. Fast forward to this off-season. Elias knew damn well the odds of Means and Bradish missing significant time was pretty much 100%. We already had lost Felix for the upcoming season and Wells has a long injury history.  He also had to know Cano wasn't the heir apparent at closer or even a high leverage guy. So what does he do? He brings in an aging Kimbrel to close. And we get Burnes. And believe me, I like Burnes but that wasn't nearly enough for a team with World Series aspirations. And now in late June, it's coming unglued. The pitching injuries are mounting. Guys like Irvin and Suarez are showing they just don't have what it takes. We choose our best minor league arm and it's Cade Povich. I like the kid but he's a fifth starter at best. I guess my main question in this is whether or not Elias realizes how mediocre the pitching staff currently is. And he needs to make moves ASAP because I can see things unraveling. We have the biggest surplus of trade bait in the MLB. At a minimum we need a top end starter and a top notch reliever. Time is ticking       
  • Popular Contributors