That's discipline.

Moose Milligan

31 minutes ago, geschinger said:

This is exactly right.  It'll be even more frustrating for many when I suspect next year will also not be "all in" to get a playoff spot.  I suspect next year is going to be all about seeing what they have - lots of ABs for prospects at the expense of W/L record in 2023.  I see the offseason after the 2023 season as when moves are made to optimize W/L record in 2024 and beyond.  That is when I think this team starts going all-in.  

I won't mind a bit seeing lots of ABs for prospects next year, as long as they are for the real prospects--Henderson, Westburg, Cowser, Stowers.  No more of this "let's give Tyler Nevin more chances to see if he can become a replacement-level utility player before we outright him at the end of the season" stuff.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because he’s healthy and performing (that combo has been very rare for him) and we have a slew of OF prospects, one of which is ready yesterday. 

Stowers basically takes Mancini's spot. Our next best hitter beyond that (not even sure who that would be) is a big step down. I don't mind the trades so far but it's not like we have someone else ready to step in at OF/DH. Unless we're giving Yusniel Diaz a lot of playing time.

I don't want to give up this year entirely, and I don't like the Odor argument when Gunnar is available right now to take his spot. There's only really one weak link the lineup and the replacement is right there.

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

I won't mind a bit seeing lots of ABs for prospects next year, as long as they are for the real prospects--Henderson, Westburg, Cowser, Stowers.  No more of this "let's give Tyler Nevin more chances to see if he can become a replacement-level utility player before we outright him at the end of the season" stuff.  

That is my expectation.  Definitely Henderson, Westburg, Stowers,  Hall and Rodriguez.  Probably Cowser as well and maybe one or two more guys from Bowie (Ortiz etc....) if they continue to produce enough to get promoted to Norfolk and then produce there as well.  Giving a ton of ABs and Innings to rookies is not typically a recipe for contention.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tip of the cap to Mike Elias for sticking to his plan and not letting pollyanna fans think that this is a year they should be going "all in" in an attempt to get a third wild card berth. 

Good to know we've got a GM who's not resting until his plan is complete.  That's discipline and not chasing shiny objects.  Any fans who are pissed off about this will most likely forget how they felt in early August 2022 in a year or so when there's a legit contender on the field.  

Mike, if you're reading, now trade Santander, too.  Keep it going.

Amen. Not impressed with the return on the López trade--hugely impressed by the return on the Mancini trade--but I am massively, massively impressed by Elias' lack of sentimentality and indifference to the optics of his decision making, and commitment to his plan and to making sound business decisions. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

We made a big mistake following the 1989 season when we gave up good young talent (Finley, Harnisch and Schilling) for one Glen Davis.  We thought that based on 89’s results we should go all in.  It set us back several years.  Agree that we need to stick to the plan.

I hear ya. But then, I think back to the wishful contention of 1965, and the three for one (Pappas, Baldschun, Simpson) to net Frank Robinson. So I guess the real moral of the story is to pick the right "star" to put you over the top (and the right pieces to deal for him). At the end of the day, superior talent evaluation matters most.

• Upvote 1

I agree in theory, but I’m worried that Mike is getting addicted to rebuilding.

We could compete next year and the year after and Lopez would have helped. Trading an all star closer for a meh return with years of control left doesn’t inspire me that he’s thinking about building a contender.

• Upvote 1

I cant tip my cap, either, not impressed with any of the guys we got in return.

I thought the plan was, dump the high salaries underperforming talent, draft, and then once those pieces start playing well with each other, they would bring in pieces to fill in the holes, and move forward.

I think the team believes they can use data to help some pitchers turn the corner, especially relievers. And I think this data reliance is part of why they are prioritizing hitters in the draft. 

Develop lots of solid hitters, and let other teams pay (in terms of draft picks and development time) for minor league pitcher innings where the O's can gather pro-level data on which guys they think they can turn into big leaguers. 

• Like 1