Terrin Vavra Bandwagon

Filmstudy

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Someone asked if Stowers would out OPS Mancini the rest of the season?  Well Vavra might. He brings a 2nd leadoff mentality to the #7 spot. 

Yeah, I said that the other day when we traded Mancini, that I think Vavra is capable of matching Mancini's OPS or at least wRC+. Just feel like on base skills like his translate really nicely and he's still been a bit underrated despite his skillset. 

I'm firmly on the bandwagon, as I said in the game chat last night. 

Love watching Vavra hit. Might be my new Ryan Flaherty-esque crush, hopefully this one turns out better.

Name change to Vavra- bd? 🤪

Edited by Flash- bd
  • Upvote 1

I’m on.  Wish I could find that conversation how ML pitchers wouldn’t respect Vavra and his minor league on base percentage wouldn’t translate against ml pitching.  His plate discipline looks to be #1 or #2 on the team.  Next on the list.  Pulling with authority.  I think we’ll see that soon.   

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m on.  Wish I could find that conversation how ML pitchers wouldn’t respect Vavra and his minor league on base percentage wouldn’t translate against ml pitching.  His plate discipline looks to be #1 or #2 on the team.  Next on the list.  Pulling with authority.  I think we’ll see that soon.   

It’s great he had 3 walks, but maybe we hold our horses just a bit. There’s always adjustments for hitters when they come up to MLB. The book on Vavra will be that he doesn’t swing at balls, and he’ll start to get challenged more. Let’s see how the contact and power skills translate to MLB. He’s off to a good start but there’s a lot left to prove. 

• Upvote 2

I have said before that I have seen him multiple times at games and I think he has an elite contact skill and great eye.  The guy knows what he wants to do with the bat.

These are my comps:

High: Michael Young in his his non-peak years (2003, after 2006).  I dont think Vavra will ever hit 20 HRs like young in his peak years, but I could see 190-210 hits, 10 HR, .290/.340

Low: Freddy Sanchez.  Freddy was a three time allstar.  He frequently put up a .290 average and peaked with a batting title.  He was never a power hitter and didn't get a lot of attention playing in Pittsburgh but he was a solid second baseman and good hitter with top of the league contact skills.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

What is the deal with not playing any second base? Do they not think he is capable of are there injury concerns?

I would like him a lot better taking away Odor at bats then Santander / Stowers at bats. 

The Orioles used him the most at 2B in the minors........so clearly they are thinking about it.    The position he started at the next most was actually CF.  Interesting.   He hit .324 at Norfolk so he should be able to make some contact.

Edited by Aglets

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

It’s great he had 3 walks, but maybe we hold our horses just a bit. There’s always adjustments for hitters when they come up to MLB. The book on Vavra will be that he doesn’t swing at balls, and he’ll start to get challenged more. Let’s see how the contact and power skills translate to MLB. He’s off to a good start but there’s a lot left to prove. 

Well of course there is.  We’re just enjoying his nice start and positive attributes.  

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The Orioles used him the most at 2B in the minors........so clearly they are thinking about it.    The position he started at the next most was actually CF.  Interesting.   He hit .324 at Norfolk so he should be able to make some contact.

Right, so why aren't they playing him at 2B in the majors? The lineup improves a lot more replacing Odor for Vavra than it does replacing Santanders bat in the OF or DH.

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Right, so why aren't they playing him at 2B in the majors? The lineup improves a lot more replacing Odor for Vavra than it does replacing Santanders bat in the OF or DH.

Odor can't be benched under any circumstances.  Guess he has it in his contract.  Perks of getting a great agent ???  ;)