Dustin Ackley CF/1B at #5

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have a legit 1B and although Ackley isn't a true 1B he has played the position and he has a great bat and his defense is considered very good, but he had TJ surgery, that's why I think 1B is a good fit for him. We need to seriously look at him come draft day if he is still on the board when we pick. JMO.

This should be in the draft forum but I'll chime in anyway...

If Ackley is confined to 1B he's a bit of an overdraft for me at 1.5. His bat still plays there in a slightly less conventional manner and he's still a legit first round pick as a first baseman, but he's only a top 5 pick for me if we think he can handle CF or 2B. He could be a top 10 pick as a corner outfielder.

Either way we should be taking the best talent available in the first round rather than drafting for need. I think you'd have to rank Strasburg, Green and White ahead of Ackley and arguably Crow and Matsek as well. But of course I'd love to have a guy like Ackley in our system.

Edit: Though it sure is nice that all 6 of those guys are pitchers, shortstops or (perhaps) firstbasemen, which all fill organizational needs.

If Ackley is confined to 1B he's a bit of an overdraft for me at 1.5. His bat still plays there in a slightly less conventional manner and he's still a legit first round pick as a first baseman, but he's only a top 5 pick for me if we think he can handle CF or 2B. He could be a top 10 pick as a corner outfielder.

:agree:

I have some doubt as to whether he can hit in ML, and while you can live with mediocre hitting at some positions, 1b is not one of those.

My top 5, right now, would look like this:

1. Strasburg

2. White

3. Green

4. Matzek

5. Davidson

Wow, pretty high on Davidson, huh? I don't know much about him and haven't heard his name much. His bat is legit at third?

Matzek is likely the top prep pitcher in the draft so I can see him in the top 5, but at this point I'd probably favor Crow.

Wow, pretty high on Davidson, huh? I don't know much about him and haven't heard his name much. His bat is legit at third?

Matzek is likely the top prep pitcher in the draft so I can see him in the top 5, but at this point I'd probably favor Crow.

I like Davidson as the best HS bat in the draft. Not sure what publications may agree with me (haven't started reading up on what everyone else is thinking). Chance to be a plus-hitter / fringe-plus-plus-power type. He isn't in Hosmer's class of hitter yet, but he has a chance to stay at 3rd, which makes him a little more interesting as a top 5 (for me).

I like Davidson as the best HS bat in the draft. Not sure what publications may agree with me (haven't started reading up on what everyone else is thinking). Chance to be a plus-hitter / fringe-plus-plus-power type. He isn't in Hosmer's class of hitter yet, but he has a chance to stay at 3rd, which makes him a little more interesting as a top 5 (for me).

Is Davidson kind of like Vitters?

Is there a reason why Ackley has to be pushed out of the OF? Wasn't his time at 1B just to let his arm recover?

Once his right arm is recovered, he should go right back to OF. If his arm isn't that good, I'd be fine with him at LF.

I think it's a matter of keeping his arm healthy -- apparently it may not hold up with constant throws from the OF. And OFs throwing motion is different from an IFs, and requires more shoulder. IFs can thow from the ear.

Archived