“Don’t be fooled by our low payroll”

emmett16

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol.

I feel bad for Elias.  He always has to put a caveat on things.

”when it makes sense” “we will try”

Its always something so he can go back and say, well we tried but they wouldn’t take our money.

Its like him saying he tried at the deadline to get ML talent.  You don’t get credit for trying.  You get credit for doing.  

Pretty much all GMs not in NY, LA, Boston say that it seems to me  .. sometimes it doesn’t make sense to spend… maybe most of the time 

32 minutes ago, geschinger said:

If you are talking about FA signings I think you may be disappointed and it may not say anything about whether or not the Orioles are willing to spend.

Considering how closely the Orioles approach has tracked to the approach Houston has taken with their rebuild I would not be surprised if the Orioles approach to FA doesn't also look a lot like what Houston's approach has been.   

They've added some pieces but not any mega FA signings.  They increased their payroll primarily from trades - deadline deal for Verlander etc... and resigning guys.    

Exactly this!  The trade with Dodgers Josh Fields for Yordan Alvarez may also become the mega greatest  trade ever.  The Verlander deal went well for them. 

so maybe we will see how Mike does with drafts and trades rather than signing a mega free agent.  The Houston, TB way.  More than fine with me! 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Exactly this!  The trade with Dodgers Josh Fields for Yordan Alvarez may also become the mega greatest  trade ever.  The Verlander deal went well for them. 

so maybe we will see how Mike does with drafts and trades rather than signing a mega free agent.  The Houston, TB way.  More than fine with me! 

Agreed. ME doesn't strike me as the mega free agent type guy. But I think this winter leads to him signing 2 SP's that aren't huge money sexy guys but who are in the top 30 ERA/FIP guys. Not names that excite everyone but  guys that will pitch very effectively. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Someone like Verlander or DeGrom on a 1-2 year deal at a high AAV makes a lot of sense.

This is what I'd like to see.  Verlander in particular.  He grew up right outside of Richmond (Gouchland) in the late 90s and just might have a warm spot for the O's.  

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Who do you think he means by "amazing pitchers that will surprise a lot of people"?  

I mean, GRod and DL Hall have a chance to be really good, but they won't exactly be a surprise given that they are already on top 10 and top 100 lists.  

Maybe he's talking about Povich?  Who else?  

Justin Armbruester & Noah Denoyer come to mind.  They will start in AA and if they make the next step could move quickly.  Guys in the rotation are holding their own right now and there will be a talent injection from the AAA guys early in the season.  There are a few guys in A and low A that look like they could make the next step as well. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Someone like Verlander or DeGrom on a 1-2 year deal at a high AAV makes a lot of sense.

Gonna take more than that and I would do more than that.  Verlander is likely your best bet as Mets probably won’t let deGrom go