“Don’t be fooled by our low payroll”

emmett16

“We have full ownership support to spend money when it makes sense.”  

-Mike Elias on high heat today being interviewed by Christopher Russo.

Other tidbits:

-Trading Mancini and Lopez was extremely difficult, but they needed to replenish lower levels.

-We have some amazing pitchers coming up that will surprise a lot of people. 

The man has done exactly what he said he would do from the very beginning.  No doubt in my mind they pony up for some premium players in the next couple of off-seasons.  

• Upvote 4

Lol.

I feel bad for Elias.  He always has to put a caveat on things.

”when it makes sense” “we will try”

Its always something so he can go back and say, well we tried but they wouldn’t take our money.

Its like him saying he tried at the deadline to get ML talent.  You don’t get credit for trying.  You get credit for doing.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t think he is perfect and I definitely don’t think he’s infallible, but he seems genuine and from my perspective he has stayed true to his word/plan from the beginning.  I’ll happily eat crow if the wool is being pulled over my eyes. I think the wall + the teams performance this year will open a lot of eyes on the pitching market.  I think he gets some deals done this off-season that will surprise a lot people.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol.

I feel bad for Elias.  He always has to put a caveat on things.

”when it makes sense” “we will try”

Its always something so he can go back and say, well we tried but they wouldn’t take our money.

Its like him saying he tried at the deadline to get ML talent.  You don’t get credit for trying.  You get credit for doing.  

Thats fair.  Completely agree talk is cheap and you get credit for doing.  Time will tell & that time is this upcoming off-season.  

• Upvote 2

He'll pay when it's pragmatic. Not when it's "necessary" or when we want to. Some guys will be let go. Some will be traded.

The lifeblood of this org will be drafting and development. That is why Angelos' #1 priority should be a long extension for Elias.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

He'll pay when it's pragmatic. Not when it's "necessary" or when we want to. Some guys will be let go. Some will be traded.

The lifeblood of this org will be drafting and development. That is why Angelos' #1 priority should be a long extension for Elias.

You wonder if he wants that.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You wonder if he wants that.

If I were Elias I'd be promising the Angels or some other team with big problems and an owner with big money that he can do for them what he's done for Baltimore, only faster because they have money.

The O's should be extending him now, at whatever it costs (within actual reality).

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

If I were Elias I'd be promising the Angels or some other team with big problems and an owner with big money that he can do for them what he's done for Baltimore, only faster because they have money.

The O's should be extending him now, at whatever it costs (within actual reality).

I don’t disagree but would you sign long term to stay with this ownership?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree but would you sign long term to stay with this ownership?

Yes. I'd sign long term to see through the complete building of an organization from trash to top levels in baseball, and I'd like some assurance that I have a contract regardless of the ownership situation.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand all these calls for FA addition.

Over the next couple years, This team will be hard pressed to add free agent talent that is better than what is already here or hovering just below the major league threshold.

infield.... Henderson, Westburg, Vavra, Mateo, Mountcastle, with at least Mayo, Norby, Holliday on the way

catcher... Rutschman, Handley

outfield... Mullins, Hays, Stowers, Cowser, Kjerstad, Haskins,

SP... Grayrod, Hall, Means, Wells, Johnson, McDermott, Baumann

Relief... already pretty damned good, and a lot of the SP's will end up here.

Who you adding to make that better?

The problem we're going to have is too much talent to manage... not too little.

21 minutes ago, owknows said:

Over the next couple years, This team will be hard pressed to add free agent talent that is better than what is already here or hovering just below the major league threshold.

infield.... Henderson, Westburg, Vavra, Mateo, Mountcastle, with at least Mayo, Norby, Holliday on the way

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Most bullpens need upgrades every year. And our rotation, though pretty successful this year, has no one with an established track record of success.

So that or you buy an IF/OF or two to let us trade our oversupply for pitching. 

I have always felt, and frequently stated, that the O’s would increase their payroll significantly once a competitive window opened.   It won’t be back over $100 mm in the next year or two, but eventually it will be.  And, I’d bet on it getting back over $150 mm at some point in this next competitive cycle.   But, Elias won’t be spending money just to spend it.  He’ll do it when he thinks it’s necessary and cost-efficient.  

34 minutes ago, owknows said:

Well, most people understand the chances of a 100% home grown team are slim and none and actually want a chance to win.