Meoli: What are the Orioles' top hitting prospects working on at Norfolk as they wait for a big league opportunity?

Tony-OH

I don't think it service time anymore because the clock would be the same if they brought them up now or start of the year.  We know Elias likes to build the farm and do that by bringing an influx of talent rather it through trades, international signings or the draft.  The new rule about getting extra picks is the big change with teams getting an extra pick based on where a player falls in the ROY vote.  I believe he thinks if I can keep as many guys with a chance to get ROY that is best for long term success of organization.  You can have Henderson for 6 years if he brought up now or you can have him for 5 but get an extra comp pick if he finishes at top of ROY voting.  Then in turn that pick into the guy that will replace someone else in a few years to keep the train rolling along.   The draft is a crap shoot so the more bullets you have the better chance you have of hitting one.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

You can have Henderson for 6 years if he brought up now or you can have him for 5 but get an extra comp pick if he finishes at top of ROY voting.  

Not quite. You get Henderson for 6 years whether you bring him up today or in 2 weeks. You get him for 7 if you hold him back at the beginning of next year.