DL Hall to be optioned to AAA and turned into a reliever for the rest of season?

Gurgi

On 8/18/2022 at 2:22 PM, Gurgi said:

I am beginning to fear Hall wont ever get enough command to be a major help.  Probably ends up being Pedro Strop.  

Strop had a fine career: six sub-3.00 ERA seasons with the Cubs and two with the O's during which Showalter relied heavily on him, sort of in the way we used Givens.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LA2 said:

Strop had a fine career: six below-3.00 ERA seasons with the Cubs and two with the O's during which Showalter relied heavily on him, sort of in the way we used Givens.

He really did. Career ERA+ of 130 in over 500 innings of relief pitching. Pedro also made over 29 million dollars in his career. He hit the lottery! 

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

He really did. Career ERA+ of 130 in over 500 innings of relief pitching. Pedro also made over 29 million dollars in his career. He hit the lottery! 

Yes, the Cubs made out like bandits on that one: Arrieta, Strop, and cash for the inconsequential catcher Steve Clevenger and mediocre SP Scott Feldman, who the Orioles desperately hoped could improve the rotation.

Edited by LA2

How is DL Hall, at this stage of his career, different from Sandy Koufax? I know, I know, stupid question as the context is completely different etc etc. But hear me out before you jump down my throat.

Both had/have great stuff. Both struggled/struggle early in their careers due to wildness. I think it took Koufax 2+ years to figure it out and he was a "bonus baby" so he didn't have the opportunity to go back to the minors to hone his craft. The legend is that Norm Sherry helped fix Koufax by having him throttle back his fastball velocity. I'm not sure I buy that explanation but something happened and he was able to find his command. Once he did he was unhittable. 

Hall is a similar caliber athlete to Koufax who was a scholarship basketball player in college. I have sincere hopes that the O's find themselves with Grayson and DL being every bit as good as Koufax and Drysdale. Pie in the sky? Perhaps, but a guy can dream on these two.

Ok, shoot me full of holes. I'm ready.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Yes, the Cubs made out like bandits on that one: Arrietta, Strop, and cash for the inconsequential catcher Steve Clevenger and mediocre SP Scott Feldman, who the Orioles desperately hoped could improve the rotation.

He did improve the rotation.  Did exactly what was expected.   Problem was, the team stopped hitting over the final two months of that season, so we faded down the stretch.   No fault of Feldman’s.  Of course, you’re right that the trade turned out lopsided.   

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

How is DL Hall, at this stage of his career, different from Sandy Koufax? I know, I know, stupid question as the context is completely different etc etc. But hear me out before you jump down my throat.

Both had/have great stuff. Both struggled/struggle early in their careers due to wildness. I think it took Koufax 2+ years to figure it out and he was a "bonus baby" so he didn't have the opportunity to go back to the minors to hone his craft. The legend is that Norm Sherry helped fix Koufax by having him throttle back his fastball velocity. I'm not sure I buy that explanation but something happened and he was able to find his command. Once he did he was unhittable. 

Hall is a similar caliber athlete to Koufax who was a scholarship basketball player in college. I have sincere hopes that the O's find themselves with Grayson and DL being every bit as good as Koufax and Drysdale. Pie in the sky? Perhaps, but a guy can dream on these two.

Ok, shoot me full of holes. I'm ready.

Koufax comparison lol.  David Clyde was the last “next Koufax” I remember. 
Danny Hultzen comes to mind too 

Let’s hope DL comes somewhere near Dave McNally which would be miracle enough!  

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

Halls latest outing as a reliever….From Roch

Hall worked two innings on Thursday and allowed one run and one hit with three walks and four strikeouts. A mixture of what the organization loves about him and where they hope to find improvement.

The walks are troublesome and the outcome is most likely worse up here.

Edited by Roll Tide

Just came in relief.  Lights out.  Fastball/change up.   Threw about 3-4 changeups. Spiked the first one but threw back to back changeups to start the 4th hitter outside corner knee high and then froze him with a fastball.  First hitter swung threw a fastball, took a change up in the dirt, took a fastball strike and then a pathetic half swing on a fastball.  2nd hitter took a high inside fastball.  Scared the LH hitter half to death.  Next pitch fastball lazy fly to LF.  3rd hitter went after 1st pitch fastball away and hit fairly routine fly ball to RF.  Díaz had to cover some ground but he was there and just dropped it.  Hall looked very good that inning.  Sure likes to get dirt on his hand.  Pretty much rubs the mound before each pitch.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

27 pitches, 21 strikes.  2 hitless, walkless innings, 4 K’s.  That’s what we’d like to see.  

The pitcher I saw tonight would be a big addition to the ML bullpen.   Hitters mostly overmatched.  I think he could get by on the fastball alone but putting the changeup in the hitters head makes almost unfair. 

BTW, Gunnar let a little league grounder go under his glove in Halls 2nd inning at 2B.

Edited by RZNJ

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

If you want to compare him to someone look at Randy Johnson at the beginning of his career.  I don't know how his career is going to turn out but the people who are writing him off are just laughable at this point.

Nobody is writing him off! Show me any post that is here that would give you that impression. Just stop making crap up!

The high era and walks at AAA have a few guys saying he’s not ready yet.

No different than the overreaction after one good outing after he’s been pretty bad for 2-3 weeks.