Pathetic.

Moose Milligan

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good on the Rays for humbling us a little. Lot of putting the cart before the horse lately. We're fun but we're not, like, GOOD. We didn't show up in the biggest series of the last 5 years, period. Didn't show up. 

We're not there quite yet folks.

They showed up…just aren’t that talented

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Meh... maybe so but the strategy at times such as line up, pitch selection, etc. stunk no matter what your talent is it'll get you beat.

This is all cliche for fans to say but the reality is none of us have any idea.  

The lineup sucked but that’s the talent in the team.  People pushed back on me about getting rid of most of the OF but it absolutely needs to be upgraded.  

We have way too many poor OBP players.  We have way too many guys who chase pitches.  Way too many guys getting real playing time that aren’t more than quality bench players.

• Upvote 2

I think it was around 2007 - 2008, but it felt like there was a stretch where we lost 30 out of 32 Sunday games or something like that.  For years, we had issues winning on Sundays.  It hasn't felt like as much of a problem in more recent years but I haven't looked at the numbers.  

It is frustrating to me when the same guys seem to do so much damage against us.  I don't know whether Baseball Reference numbers reflect today's game, but for his career (across 158 plate appearances), Arozarena has hit .375 against us with an OPS of 1.139.  Given that his career OPS is .805, that is a pretty big spread.  We seem to struggle mightily with him and it has gone on long enough that whatever we are doing (or not doing) probably needs to change.  Other people have handled him, but clearly we have a problem.

Even the JD Martinez spread of 1.125 OPS against the Os versus .874 overall isn't as bad, although 403 plate appearances is a huge sample size.  Interestingly, Mike Trout's .988 OPS against us is slightly below his 1.000 career OPS.  So it really is a case that sometimes, certain guys have your number and isn't always about how good they are (see Grichuk, Randal: 1.084 OPS against Os versus .762 OPS overall).  

When people say this team didn't show up today or the manager didn't try to win that's PATHETIC.   The results may have been pathetic but this team has heart and gives it all.  Anyone questioning that should be ashamed of themselves.   

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

A couple of things I think are important to remember:

1. Rasmussen pitched extremely well. He had all three of his pitches working and threw them in any count. He was dotting "I"s with his FB and his slider was sick. He came out for the 9th at 79 pitches. He was on. 

2. The current O's team has an anemic offense.

3. Adley is still learning how to call a game at the MLB level. 

4. The O's pitching only gave up 4 runs. Other than Lyles, the rest of the guys threw up zeros. Akin look especially good.

5. The Trop is Orioles kryptonite.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Look, I get it. Sometimes you get beat. Sometimes the other pitcher is on top of his game. 

But the showing today from the Orioles was pathetic. Pitching to Arozarena with two on and two out was inexcusable. And they had absolutely no plan at the plate against Rasmussen today. Swinging at everything, no patience. 

At least Mateo just ruined the perfect game, but still.  

You're not wrong... but this is the stretch that matters and there are heightened expectations.  Not a good start, for sure.  We just went 7-10 in a stretch against crappy teams where some, including me, would have been happy with  5-5.  As I said before that one started, this stretch is the one that matters.  They gained a little room with the last 10, but this is the one.  If they go .50 on this 10 game stretch  they are in or .5 out of the WC.

But I get what you're saying.  They looked flat.  A little flat.  It happens.  Let's see their bounce-back.  They have to be feeling it too. ;)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

When people say this team didn't show up today or the manager didn't try to win that's PATHETIC.   The results may have been pathetic but this team has heart and gives it all.  Anyone questioning that should be ashamed of themselves.   

Yea I agree.  This isn’t about effort..it’s about a lack of talent. 

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I personally believe we have plenty of heart and we give it our all.  What I question is why Elias has filled the team with lots of very bad hitters.  I dont understand the Phillips thing.  I dont understand Odor here.   And now that we are in a pennant race the fact we are not going all out is starting to get frustrating.   We could use Stowers.  Sure he is likely to struggle at first but he cant struggle as bad as Phillips.   And we dont need Phillips in the field.  We already have a great fielding light hitting guy on the roster.   

When they pitched to Arozarena in that crucial situation I had a strong feeling  that he would do big time damage and was screaming silently for him to be walked.  Nearly every time  I have a feeling that strong, a bad thing happens to the Orioles.  It is spooky. Makes me wonder just how many years a person has to hang around baseball before such a critical decision becomes almost a no brainer,  to get it right.   I decided that if he did big damage, that the game would be lost and   sure enough it was.    I know it  is baseball and as such is unpredictable, but some situations are not as unpredictable as other  situations.  Draw on experience for crying out loud.  

I'm anxious to see what if any moves are made for the series up north and/or when we come home. I would never use the word pathetic in reference to this team. Not when you consider the make-up and current record versus what was predicted at the beginning.

There are aspects I don't understand but what I do understand is this team has been money's worth to me on Major League Extra Innings. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

7 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I'm anxious to see what if any moves are made for the series up north and/or when we come home. I would never use the word pathetic in reference to this team. Not when you consider the make-up and current record versus what was predicted at the beginning.

There are aspects I don't understand but what I do understand is this team has been money's worth to me on Major League Extra Innings. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

*****I Think*****

What moves? They aren’t making any moves besides shuttling a pitcher. I doubt that happens as the pen is well rested.

***** Disclosure: Note to @Sports Guy I don’t have a link*****

Edited by Roll Tide

17 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder if people forget that even a .300 hitter means they failed 7 times out of 10.

Sometimes a pitcher is just “on,” no matter how good the other teams offense is and things just come together.

They may also be forgetting that John Means nearly threw a perfect game just last year against this same Rays team that managed to win 100 games.

I think there are problems with the configuration of this roster, but that wasn’t any more apparent before or after today’s game. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1