Reminder of what Orioles did in August 2012 to try to win a playoff spot.

Gurgi

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So Seth Johnson, who is out for over a year and likely won’t be able to go full blast until 2025 at the earliest is a key to us contending long term?  Really?

I mean, I loved that trade and glad they did it but that’s going way overboard. 

Adding prospects of that caliber to our development pipeline do make a team's future success more sustainable.  I did not say it was "key to us contending long term."  For someone who claims that other people say you say things that you didn't, you're a piece of work.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Adding prospects of that caliber to our development pipeline do make a team's future success more sustainable.  I did not say it was "key to us contending long term."  For someone who claims that other people say you say things that you didn't, you're a piece of work.

You said that Seth Johnson helps the team be more sustainable going forward.  You don’t think that means he is a key part to things?

Thats what you seem to be saying to me.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And sure, as has been said a million times, there are no sure things.  But if you have an ounce of knowledge and ability to judge talent, you would know that greatly increasing the talent with Stowers (now up) and Henderson and playing them everyday greatly increases the talent of the team, which gives them a better chance at winning.  This isn’t a difficult concept to figure..at least for most people.

I think that might be an overstatement.   Stowers will be playing, not sitting on the bench like Phillips was.   So he will be taking some playing time away from Hays, Santander, McKenna, Vavra   Sure, Hays is in a bad slump, but he could come out of it.   Or Stowers first 100 at bats in the majors could have a real learning curve and he could struggle.   I don't think it's an automatic that he will be better than the guys he is taking at bats from would have been.   I'd say probably a 60% chance he would and 40% chance he wouldn't.   And the chance that he would be a huge improvement (i.e. you used the word greatly) is less than that.

Mountcastle would be taking at bats away from Urias, Odor, Vavra, and Mateo.  Even if he takes Nevin's spot on the roster, that's not who he's really replacing.   Those are the guys he would take at bats away from, because Nevin wasn't getting many at bats to take.  Will he be better at the major league level immediatelythen they would be?   Yeah, probably.   Some of those guys haven't been very good.    So probably a higher% chance than Stowers 60% that he will be an improvement.  75%, 80%?.   But once again, will it be a huge improvement?   You don't know.   Could be.   It seems like you are assuming it automatically would be.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You said that Seth Johnson helps the team be more sustainable going forward.  You don’t think that means he is a key part to things?

Thats what you seem to be saying to me.

What I'm saying is that adding prospects the quality of Cade Povich and Seth Johnson makes long term success more sustainable.  Some analysts put Johnson in or near our top 10 prospects even knowing that he will be recovering from TJ surgery.  That speaks to the quality of prospect that he is considered.  Having lots of good prospects increases a team's odds of future success.  I don't think any one prospect is key unless you are talking about super talents like Rutschman, Henderson and Rodriguez.  But having lots of talent is key if anything is and Povich, who you left out even though I specifically mentioned him too,  and Johnson add to that high quality talent pool.  And, just to be clear, I have not used the work "key" until now.

On a side note, Povich pitches for Bowie tonight.  Will be checking in on the MILB Gameday feed for sure.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think that might be an overstatement.   Stowers will be playing, not sitting on the bench like Phillips was.   So he will be taking some playing time away from Hays, Santander, McKenna, Vavra   Sure, Hays is in a bad slump, but he could come out of it.   Or Stowers first 100 at bats in the majors could have a real learning curve and he could struggle.   I don't think it's an automatic that he will be better than the guys he is taking at bats from would have been.   I'd say probably a 60% chance he would and 40% chance he wouldn't.   And the chance that he would be a huge improvement (i.e. you used the word greatly) is less than that.

Mountcastle would be taking at bats away from Urias, Odor, Vavra, and Mateo.  Even if he takes Nevin's spot on the roster, that's not who he's really replacing.   Those are the guys he would take at bats away from, because Nevin wasn't getting many at bats to take.  Will he be better at the major league level immediatelythen they would be?   Yeah, probably.   Some of those guys haven't been very good.    So probably a higher% chance than Stowers 60% that he will be an improvement.  75%, 80%?.   But once again, will it be a huge improvement?   You don't know.   Could be.   It seems like you are assuming it automatically would be.

It automatically increases the talent.  There’s no denying that.  Whether it increases production is to be seen.

22 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I see videos like this from the good old days and quite honestly it pisses me off. Where were all those rabid fans in the last four years? Nowhere. Those of us who drove three or four hours to watch our guys get massacred over and over again from 2017 to 2022 will likely get shut out or priced out when playoff time come again. Shut out by “fans” who wouldn’t know Joey Rickard from Joey Bishop. But hey, they’ll do the chant just like real fans which will be all that matters. 

When trying to compete in the AL Ea$t, I don’t feel we’re in a position to turn away any fan$. 

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

What I'm saying is that adding prospects the quality of Cade Povich and Seth Johnson makes long term success more sustainable.  Some analysts put Johnson in or near our top 10 prospects even knowing that he will be recovering from TJ surgery.  That speaks to the quality of prospect that he is considered.  Having lots of good prospects increases a team's odds of future success.  I don't think any one prospect is key unless you are talking about super talents like Rutschman, Henderson and Rodriguez.  But having lots of talent is key if anything is and Povich, who you left out even though I specifically mentioned him too,  and Johnson add to that high quality talent pool.  And, just to be clear, I have not used the work "key" until now.

On a side note, Povich pitches for Bowie tonight.  Will be checking in on the MILB Gameday feed for sure.

I left off Povich because he will be a factor soon..not 2-3 years from now.