Mike Trout to the Orioles?

vab

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Source?

This is what I used.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-market-size-nfl-mlb-nhl-nielsen-ratings/

It lists DC as a separate market.

The Nats must have surely damaged the Orioles domination of DC and western maryland and Eastern Virginia? I suppose the Pirates were our biggest competition for the DC area market before. Now they have their own team. 

I read an article the other day that encouraged North Carolinians to root for the Os. They called us an exciting team. I believe the Orioles are actually closer to North Carolina than the Braves are. Yet most North Carolinians are Braves fans? I wonder what their in market team is for Television purposes? Must be the Braves?

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

1) you said his back was an issue.  It’s not. 

2) You said they would be worth more than Trout last year.  They weren’t.

3) Yes, if Mullins doesn’t hit lefties, he absolutely is potentially a platoon guy. That’s 100% fact. But the caveat is that he doesn’t hit lefties. He is this year. In this thread, you said you felt Mullins is a  3-4 WAR player (which I agree with for the next few years). You don’t feel he is an elite guy. You feel he is a very good guy. Let’s not act like you saw a big year coming or that you felt he was going to be really good Vs lefties and that is essentially the difference between him being a 3 WAR guy and a 5+ WAR guy while his defense is still good.

4) Let’s see if Hays can get through a season healthy and productive. I was right about him last year. He ended the year with a .9 WAR. That’s not an everyday player. That’s a 4th OFer. McKenna was .8 last year in far less playing time. McKenna is a 4th or 5th OFer.

I don’t question the man’s talent, I question his availability and reliability. You can’t be an everyday player if you aren’t available and/or playing with multiple injuries that crush your production.

That’s just a fact.

5) Trout only needs to give us 4-5 years if his deal. If it’s a disaster at the end, I’m good with that considering we may be able to win a WS or 2 with him being an elite guy still.

I was 100% accurate in all of those takes last year.  You notice how you are just now bumping this?  Because these 2 are playing well. You may want to wait until the season is over because everything you said for 2022 was wrong, yet you won’t admit it.  

You are childishly bringing this back up now. Your take was and is laughable. 

You also said Trout’s trade value was basically nil, which is incredibly dumb but goes with the theme of everything you say.

Amazing.  Saying a guy is a 4th outfielder implies he’s not that good.  It doesn’t imply that he’s good but can’t stay healthy.   

If you said Mullins is a platoon outfielder and he’s proving you wrong this year you still don’t admit you were wrong.   Amazing.

You’re wrong about the draft EVERY year.    

Stop calling everyone else stupid and take a look in the mirror.

3 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

The Nats must have surely damaged the Orioles domination of DC and western maryland and Eastern Virginia? I suppose the Pirates were our biggest competition for the DC area market before. Now they have their own team. 

I read an article the other day that encouraged North Carolinians to root for the Os. They called us an exciting team. I believe the Orioles are actually closer to North Carolina than the Braves are. Yet most North Carolinians are Braves fans? I wonder what their in market team is for Television purposes? Must be the Braves?

As I said the source I cited listed them separately.  As Frobby said if anything Baltimore should be larger.

I haven't seen this discussion for a while, so I'll repeat what I've said a few times before.

What matters for these purposes is not how many people live in your metro area, but how many dollars you can extract from (a) ballpark attendance (add add-ons like concessions and parking) and (b) cable rights fees. The population of a team's metro area is usually the most important factor in determining those things, but there are plenty of others: the wealth of prospective ticket-buyers and cable subscribers, the presence of corporations and service firms that are potential season-ticket buyers year after year, opportunities to draw to the ballpark and sell cable rights outside the metro area (determined in part by the proximity of other MLB teams), ownership's ability and willingness to infuse cash from sources other than baseball operations, the breadth and depth of baseball tradition in the area, the accessibility and appeal of the stadium, and the team's on-field success in previous seasons. (Somewhere I have a longer list, but I think those are the big ones.) 

You don't need to look at all that stuff to compare the potential resources of some franchises. Given the wide disparities between Houston and Pittsburgh, and the absence of obvious diominant other factors like you'd see with the Cardinals or Rays, for instance, the Braves should have much higher revenues than the Pirates. 

When you try to compare revenue potential of the Padres and the Orioles, it gets complicated. I know something about most of the factors that affect the Orioles. But the impact of even the ones I know about -- the ability to draw fans from the D.C. area, whether it will hold up in the future, and what portion of that D.C. population and its enormous amount of service firms should be included, the future of cable revenues under the peculiar MASN deal relative to those fees when determined in the market, a mentally incompetent owner and management's extreme parsimony in recent years, years of terrible on-field performance -- is hard to evaluate. And I know virtually nothing about most of these factors with respect to the Pads. 

So unless you analyze at least some of these factors and try to compare them, I don't see how you can compare the resources available to the Orioles and to the Padres, other than to say that they're not too different from each other, though right now the Padres appear (to me, anyway) to be ahead. You can go back and forth for a long time saying "San Diego is bigger" and replying "Baltimore draws fans from  Washington," or saying "the Padres have shown they're willing to spend" and replying "the Orioles will be getting new ownership pretty soon," but I'm not sure those exchanges, each directed at one piece of the puzzle, will convince anyone or resolve anything.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

All this stuff is a little arbitrary.  The Orioles have plenty of fans in the DC area, most of whom became Orioles fans during the years that DC had their own team.  I don’t think the Padres have a lot of fans in the LA area, and nobody would consider driving from LA to SD to attend a baseball game.  So, while the SD metropolitan area has about 40% larger population than the Baltimore metro area, I think the latter gets more fans from outside its metro area going to its games.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area

San Diego is listed as 18th largest metro area at 3.276 million and Baltimore as 20th largest at 2.835 million.  San Diego is not getting many LA fans who are not from San Diego area, but northern Virginia seems to be sending less and less fans to O's games.  The commute from northern Virginia to an O's game is a killer.  I would be interested in how many Mexican tourists are going to see Padre games.  Obviously if you are a tourist with money, you would probably go see a Dodgers games, but just crossing the border to see 1 game would make more sense to see the Padres.