O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 19

bigbird

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly the Orioles might just be better served to move to Arizona seeing as no Florida city really wants them because of their status. Maybe if they threatened to move out of state, Florida might become a little more serious about keeping them there...

I'm all for utilizing Arizona as an Oriole escape. I would be able to see them so much more often if they were out here. I go to AZ every year and generally, it is a better deal for hotels, weather and easy access to a bunch of different clubs.

That said, while I would love the idea, the Birds should train in Florida, closer to the main fan base.

-Don

To be fair, Flanny/Duq hired Perlozzo who was such a horrible manager, and they paid 40 million for the bullpen which ultimately cost the manager his job.

These guys weren't exactly Theo Schurholtz...

How's that ture??? On June 1, 2007 (first year of their contracts) Bradfors had an era of 2.35, Walker 3.43 and Baez 5.84. Baez blew but was very good the first 6 weeks posting a sub 3 era.

Perlozzo was just not a goo manager but was a good friend of PGA and that's all that really matters. We were also sitting at .500 at the end of May.

I'm all for utilizing Arizona as an Oriole escape. I would be able to see them so much more often if they were out here. I go to AZ every year and generally, it is a better deal for hotels, weather and easy access to a bunch of different clubs.

That said, while I would love the idea, the Birds should train in Florida, closer to the main fan base.

-Don

Hey...I hear Mexico's a great place to set up for Spring Training! They could play all the local teams down there, and have tons of fun! :2yay-thumb:

They could probably find a nice parcel of land down there dirt cheap!

Well as good as Mazzone is, that is a horrible way to choose a manager.

Look..I'm not discounting what BB is saying at all. It could all be true. But my point is, AM has multiple WS rings. Hell, I've been one of his biggets critics since this Tex thing but you can't deny his resume.

Maybe it's possible PA trusts him to turn the team around, trusts him to stay out of his way, and AM is just rebuilding the way he sees fit?

The landscape of baseball has changed so much since he won those rings. Hell Syd Thrift was a great talent evaluator at one time. There was no football mond better than Al Davis in the early 70's. Things change and the same business plan that worked 20 years ago most likely won't work today.

That's why I welcome an ownership change with open arms. Angelos has pretty much brought this franchise to its knees and will be the worst owner in club history. He can't change that now. Maybe that's why he's thinking of selling. He might be finally tired of playing with his "toy." We can all hope...

Have I missed something? Is he actually thinking of selling the team?

If so, maybe this will be a good Orioles' winter session after all. I love the Birds no matter what, but it is hard to argue against the fact he is the worst owner the franchise has ever had.

-Don

MacPhail is doing exactly what PGA is telling him to do for the most part. Just like every other front office person tha past 11 years except one. Who's the only person in the front office who spent money the past 11 years?

Granted some may not have been spent well in the long run. Why would PGA bring in AM mid stream in 2007? Could it be someone in the front office actually spend some money? Could it be drafting Boras clients? Could it be wanting to fire Perlozzo about a month before it happened? Hummmm.

Was it over 11 years ago that the O's spent money and signed Tejada, Lopez, Palmeiro, Ponson in one off-season? How time flies...

And then MacPhail was brought in because Duq/Flanny drafted a Boras client...and then MacPhail turns around and drafts another Boras client? I guess that didn't work out so well...EDIT: Nevermind...I thought I remembered that Boras was the advisor for Matusz (that's what I get for trying to go with a faulty memory instead of looking it up).

The landscape of baseball has changed so much since he won those rings. Hell Syd Thrift was a great talent evaluator at one time. There was no football mond better than Al Davis in the early 70's. Things change and the same business plan that worked 20 years ago most likely won't work today.

Amen. We need new ownership and some young, talented front office people. If Angelos is only concerned with lining his pockets, then I'm ready to lead the pitchfork mob down to OPACY!

Was it over 11 years ago that the O's spent money and signed Tejada, Lopez, Palmeiro, Ponson in one off-season? How time flies...

And then MacPhail was brought in because Duq/Flanny drafted a Boras client...and then MacPhail turns around and drafts another Boras client? I guess that didn't work out so well...

Sorry...don't remember...who was the Boras client we drafted?

Im going to give AM a little more time before I throw darts at his head.

Im giving him the Markakis extension. If he fails with that, Im done.

From everything BB is saying above this is a PA issue, not an AM issue. If so, the darts should be directed towards PA.

Patton is pretty much guaranteed to start at Norfolk.

Albers or Penn are my most likely candidates to earn the 5th role. As BB has said before though, Arrieta has an outside shot.

I'm thinking maybe Penn gets his shot. It's his last chance, really.

Archived