O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 19

bigbird

So another day passes. Days turn into weeks and weeks into months. I had dinner with my guy this evening an fwiw here are a few tidbits he had. As usual read into this as little or as much as you want:

He knows we are trying to sign the Japanese pitcher as well as Redding. The other two spots in the rotation are marked for Olsen and another young pitcher (he's heard Liz will start in AAA). Hendrickson will be inserted if onf of the young guys flop. It's his understanding that we're behind in both years and dollars for these guys. He also thinks Brad Hennesey is a wildcard to make the rotation.

We are not signing Dunn. Not even talking to them.

We're trying to sign Aaron Miles but again lack in the contract we've offered.

I asked about 1B. He thinks Hinske will be the guy we sign just because of salary.

I asked about Roberts. He thinks he'll be traded before the season as we plan of offering him a contract extension in the next few weeks and when he turns it down we'll deal him.

I asked about guys in the minors last year who may make the team. He thinks both Reimold and Montenez will start at AAA. His wildcard to get promoted is Arrieta. Salazar will probably make the team.

Not everyone is sold on Greg Zaun.

He had an interesting thought. He wonders if the payroll is being cut back in anticipation of a sale???? He's heard Ripken, Geppi, and the Ravens owner and a possible ownership group.

Later

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So another day passes. Days turn into weeks and weeks into months. I had dinner with my guy this evening an fwiw here are a few tidbits he had. As usual read into this as little or as much as you want:

He knows we are trying to sign the Japanese pitcher as well as Redding. The other two spots in the rotation are marked for Olsen and another young pitcher (he's heard Liz will start in AAA). Hendrickson will be inserted if onf of the young guys flop. It's his understanding that we're behind in both years and dollars for these guys. He also thinks Brad Hennesey is a wildcard to make the rotation.

I asked about 1B. He thinks Hinske will be the guy we sign just because of salary.

I asked about Roberts. He thinks he'll be traded before the season as we plan of offering him a contract extension in the next few weeks and when he turns it down we'll deal him.

I asked about guys in the minors last year who may make the team. He thinks both Reimold and Montenez will start at AAA. His wildcard to get promoted is Arrieta.

He had an interesting thought. He wonders if the payroll is being cut back in anticipation of a sale???? He's heard Ripken, Geppi, and the Ravens owner and a possible ownership group.

Later

Oh my, its rare to hear this more than once in one night.

I asked about guys in the minors last year who may make the team. He thinks both Reimold and Montenez will start at AAA. His wildcard to get promoted is Arrieta.

Later

Interesting stuff...Very interesting to see you mention the ownership stuff when Miller192 just mentioned Bisciotti. Perhaps something brewing there?

Any indication where BRob could be dealt to?

Are we pushing after Kawakami or Uehera?

That's interesting that Liz might be heading back to Norfolk, but no surprise.

I would prefer not to have Hinske on the team and would prefer Salazar have the 1B gig.

If Hendrickson is in the bullpen, that really fills the bullpen most likely.

I really wonder what will happen with Penn/Simon/Burres/Bass. There seems to be possibly only one spot, two max, on the team for the four of them.

Later

Could the young pitcher be Troy Patton?

Ripken, Geppi, Biscotti - sexy!

The heir apparent has always been Geppi I think. Geppi, Ripken and Bischotti makes sense to me.

It is rather maddening that we aren't exploring Dunn, no one seems to be on this guy. What is the big deal here?

I think Arrieta is going to be given every chance in the world to make the team out of ST.

Still think we should be looking to trade Penn. He still has uspide and we could get something for him, but it is obvious that others have passed him on the depth chart.

Again, I don't know the Orioles side or what BB is hearing.

From what I was told this morning, SB has had discussions about joing the group along with Kevin Plank.

As it was put to me, Angelos cannot unlock any value out of the organization right now.

This doesn't mean this is happening just that they have had discussions.

That's all I have for the most part.

Later

Thanks BB, I appreciate it.

I really don't like the news about the rotation, but I agree that Liz should start in AAA barring a great ST in which he actually shows up with solid control. Redding, Hennessy, and Hendrickson in the rotation sounds digusting. I really don't see what he have to lose by inserting Olson, Penn, and Albers in the rotation. If they stink, then we can assume that the vets would have done no better given their track record. If they younger guys succeed, then thats one less rotation spot we have to fill for 2010.

I'm kind of glad we aren't going after Dunn, and I'm not at all sold on Hinske, but I guess he'll just be a placeholder.

Personally, I don't want to trade Roberts unless the value he gets us is greater then the two draft picks he'd get us, and I'm curious to see what teams offer for a one-year 2B rental. I'd rather have Jordan get some extra picks to work with, but I wouldn't complain one bit if we got Mills and Miller/Laffey for him.

And bigbird, that last part just got my heart rate to double. I would jump up and down and probably run around the house in my underwear if that happened.

Again, I don't know the Orioles side or what BB is hearing.

From what I was told this morning, SB has had discussions about joing the group along with Kevin Plank.

As it was put to me, Angelos cannot unlock any value out of the organization right now.

This doesn't mean this is happening just that they have had discussions.

That's all I have for the most part.

Forgive me, what do you mean by that?

I asked about guys in the minors last year who may make the team. He thinks both Reimold and Montenez will start at AAA.

Later

Would be a crime...

OK... Wow! I didn't even consider something like this. Great!

Archived