O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 19

bigbird

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If PA was a CEO of a company his butt would have been fired long ago.

You aren't watching the news, are you? :laughlol:

In all honesty, I'd be tempted to listen to bigbird if he hadn't disagreed with getting MacPhail from the very beginning. Hasn't said a good word about anything that has happened.

In all honesty, I'd be tempted to listen to bigbird if he hadn't disagreed with getting MacPhail from the very beginning. Hasn't said a good word about anything that has happened.

OK a small company. Why is PA getting all this love from Orioles fans? Have you guys been watching the same team I have for the last 11 years? They must be Yankees fans.

Yeah, I think you'd have a hard time reading this board and finding any recent love for PA. He's pretty much up there with everyone else associated with the Oriole ranting.

Well... on the other hand... Wieters wouldn't have been signed without Angelos and McPhail wouldn't have even considered drafting Wieters in the first place.

Furthermore, everyone was praising Angelos when he supposedly got involved with the Teixeira negotiations, at least according to the insiders.

So... let's have a little perspective here.

Don't mistake this as 100% praising Angelos however.

Yeah, I think you'd have a hard time reading this board and finding any recent love for PA. He's pretty much up there with everyone else associated with the Oriole ranting.

I've found a few who has attacked me for going after him. I'm just so sick of his BS. Oriole fans are pissed off right now. In fact it's so bad I think MLB should step in and tell PA either try to win or sell the team.

Well... on the other hand... Wieters wouldn't have been signed without Angelos and McPhail wouldn't have even considered drafting Wieters in the first place.

Once we drafted Wieters the O's really had no choice but to sign him. How would that have looked drafting the best position prospect in baseball and letting him slip away for what we drop annually on Jay Payton-esque players?

Re-reading what was posted in the other thread, it sounds like Biscotti (and I'm assuming Ripken) could come on board as part of the ownership group with Clancy and Angelos and the ownership would eventually be transferred as Angelos would sell his majority stake to Biscotti...

I don't know why I insisted the other day that BB hates AM. Obvious that he has much love for the man. Every media person in town says that AM has more power than any other GM in recent history. I'll stick with them.

As for the info, I hate the idea of Hinske and only like the Miles thing if the money is right or we are trading BRob. I am at a bit of a loss to see the plan, but it is obvious that we are refusing to overcommit to free agents and our farm system is much improved over the past few years.

Not true. I said the deals he made for Bedard and Tejada were good. I also said he did a good job unloading Ramon though the new guy helped out. It's hard to say positive things about someone who has done so little.

While I realize that there's no way that Angelos is selling the team the actions of this organization are somewhat consistent w/someone selling the business. In sports, you either make money on the sale of a franchise through its appreciation (i.e building brand equity by a winning tradition) or you make it as you would as if selling a traditional business.

When a business is being sold current management does everything they can to maximize EBITDA. A commonly accepted method of valuing a business is to use multiples of EBITDA. To maximize EBITDA you either maximize the revenue streams (difficult b/c of the O's ineptitude over the past 10 yrs) or cut expenses which is much easier for the O's to do. I'm sure the O's are very happy w/their $30-35M in Op Income/yr (Forbes).

I think what is going on is that Angelos wants to turn around the organization but do it on the cheap. He's realizing he can't compete w/the Red Sox and Yanks on FA spending so he brought in AM to turn it around using the "small market model" of drafting and developing the young, cheap talent from within.

In short, Angelos wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Archived