O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 19

bigbird

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have any knowledge of franchise sales? Are the Orioles operating in a pattern consistent with a business/sports franchise that is about to be sold?

Well, the Orioles have already unloaded three contracts (Bradford, Tejada, Hernandez) of players who will be free agents after 2009. They also moved Bedard and Cabrera, who would be making "big" money in 2009.

Hendrickson, Walker, Baez, Huff, Roberts, Gibbons, Freel, and Mora all have contracts that are up after 2009.

There will be a lot of money freeing up at the end of 2009 and we have no contracts beyond that point, so that would be the perfect time to sell.

Would be a crime...

OK... Wow! I didn't even consider something like this. Great!

I think you can almost guarantee Montanez is in AAA because we got Freel.

So, unless they plan on using Freel as the everyday second baseman if we trade BRob, we will not need a 4th OFer.

Reimold is destined for AAA because of the way the Orioles seem to view him.

Only way that changes is if he is incredible in ST or they trade Huff or Scott.

I think you can almost guarantee Montanez is in AAA because we got Freel.

So, unless they plan on using Freel as the everyday second baseman if we trade BRob, we will not need a 4th OFer.

Reimold is destined for AAA because of the way the Orioles seem to view him.

Only way that changes is if he is incredible in ST or they trade Huff or Scott.

Why does Reimold get a bad rap?

The heir apparent has always been Geppi I think. Geppi, Ripken and Bischotti makes sense to me.

It is rather maddening that we aren't exploring Dunn, no one seems to be on this guy. What is the big deal here?

I think Arrieta is going to be given every chance in the world to make the team out of ST.

Still think we should be looking to trade Penn. He still has uspide and we could get something for him, but it is obvious that others have passed him on the depth chart.

Should be careful what we wish for. I recall Angelos was thought to be our Savior from the evil Jacobs. And to me the jury is still out on Bisciotti being another Angelos. "Hands on" becomes "meddling" when it doesnt work out.

Why does Reimold get a bad rap?

Because the Orioles continue to be a franchise that focuses on what you can't do as opposed to focusing on what you can do.

Even Tony, who has soured on him a lot over the past year or so, believes he could be an 800-850 OPS guy that gets 400-450 at bats a year.

Thanks for the info, but can you please pick another thread title?

I don't feel held hostage thank you very much.

(and don't call me an idiot because I feel that way)

I agree, and if we are being held hostage due to little to no activity in the last 19 days, I guess that means 20+ other teams fans are too.:scratchchinhmm:

Hope we don't sign Redding or Hinske.

Anyway, it sure would be nice to have a new owner.

He wonders if the payroll is being cut back in anticipation of a sale???? He's heard Ripken, Geppi, and the Ravens owner and a possible ownership group.
That would be tantamount to Angelos waiving the white flag and with his ego, I don't see that happening. He is majority owner (51%) and his partners could try to force him out, but I don't see that as a likely scenario either. IMO, the idea is to strip the franchise almost to the bare bones and rebuild. Shedding payroll is part of that strategy.

The sale of the Orioles to that ownership group would be bigger and better news than Tex signing here. It's that kind of hope that keeps me an Oriole fan...

+10

If Bisciotti bought the O's, my faith in mankind would be renewed.

Okay, perhaps that's a little drastic. Still, I'd be optimistic this time was FINALLY headed in the right direction.

I think getting new ownership, especially with the one's mentioned, would be much more huge than if we would have gotten Tex.

I was kinda afraid that assumption might've been made.

We're not getting new ownership, just a possible change in the current ownership group.

The Angelos family isn't going anywhere.

I was kinda afraid that assumption might've been made.

We're not getting new ownership, just a possible change in the current ownership group.

The Angelos family isn't going anywhere.

Oh, I see. Well, that's a bit disheartening. But fear not, I didn't have nearly enough time to get my hopes up. ;)

IMO, it would still obviously be huge to have someone like Bisciotti as a part of the ownership group.

Archived