Mountcastle

Joep

31 minutes ago, Natty said:

Is anyone going to say that dumping Mancini might not have been such a great idea? 

No.  If anything it's gotten the "Orioles are cold, heartless SOBs" stuff out of the way already, so we won't have to hear it as much this offseason when they don't sign him to an ill-advised 3/60 deal.

It’s kind of interesting to note that despite his .636 OPS this month, Mountcastle has 17 RBI in 25 games in August.  I guess his hits have been timely.   I liked his opposite field swing on his RBI sac fly last night.  

Mountcastle frustrates me with his lack of selectivity at the plate, but I know he’s a much better hitter than he’s currently showing and I’m betting on a late season bounce-back for him.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s kind of interesting to note that despite his .636 OPS this month, Mountcastle has 17 RBI in 25 games in August.  I guess his hits have been timely.   I liked his opposite field swing on his RBI sac fly last night.  

Mountcastle frustrates me with his lack of selectivity at the plate, but I know he’s a much better hitter than he’s currently showing and I’m betting on a late season bounce-back for him.  

The offense desperately needs him to pick it up. Would be a huge boost.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not a big RM guy but I agree he’s a better hitter than this.  I think he’s like Jones was.  Some years will be 750-780 OPS and others 800-830.

I think he will bounce back next year.

That said, he has a history, albeit a brief one, of starting terribly and being extremely streaky.  All players have their ups and downs but for some, it pronounced than others.

Im not sure I will ever fully trust him as a true core piece.

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The offense desperately needs him to pick it up. Would be a huge boost.  

The team has had a decent August offensively, but the month is ending pretty weakly as we’ve been facing some teams with very good pitching.  The following players have had a tough August:

Hays .670 OPS

Mountcastle .636

Urias .590

Odor .528

Stowers (.683) and Vavra (.673) haven’t exactly been a panacea, either.

Lots of guys who could help us by heating up.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The team has had a decent August offensively, but the month is ending pretty weakly as we’ve been facing some teams with very good pitching.  The following players have had a tough August:

Hays .670 OPS

Mountcastle .636

Urias .590

Odor .528

Stowers (.683) and Vavra (.673) haven’t exactly been a panacea, either.

Lots of guys who could help us by heating up.

No doubt but like you I have higher expectations for him. If one of Urias/Hays can pick it up would be significant. 

Mountcastle has really only had one great month and one solid one this season. His April was slow (as seems to be a regular occurrence for him), but he had a solid May and excellent June before a terrible July and poor August. His .533 OPS in the second half is flat out terrible. I am certainly not confident about him moving forward. Coming into the year I thought him hitting in one of the top-4 spots in the order was a miscast and saw him more of a 6-hole hitter, but now it's worth questioning his position on the team going forward. 

All that said, we do have 9 games against Toronto and several against Boston (both teams he's done well against in his career). He's also got good numbers in a VERY SSS against Detroit. Maybe, just maybe, he has a good game and that gets him back into a groove to end the year and gets us thinking about him a bit differently going into 2023 (or improves his trade value if we're looking to go that route).