Labor Day afternoon: Game 1 of the Orioles biggest doubleheader in decades

SteveA

Just now, bpilktree said:

Gunnar I’m sure has been on that side of the bag countless times with the shifts nowadays.

Just now, bpilktree said:

Gunnar I’m sure has been on that side of the bag countless times with the shifts nowadays.

It’s not about fielding a ground ball it’s about where you are mentally. Did he get down before the plays because of an earlier mistake?  No way to know. 

Does he look comfortable there to you?

it is what it is. I’m just saying now matter how talented you can’t just pick up the nuances of the position in 2 weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

That's at least the fourth play Gunnar has been involved in like that though. He has no experience/feel for the position and it shows.

Ja'Wuan James compared switching from right tackle to left tackle like using the other hand to wipe. I think Gunnar has spent all of his time on the other side of the infield. If not SS, at least let him play third.

That is fair. Question is, do you start Urias at 2B, which is also not his best position, or go with Odor in the lineup? I don't like either option so I see why they are trying Gunnar at 2B.

5 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Were there two balls off of his glove or just one? There was a diving play early where maybe Odor/Urias are in better position. And there was the miscommunication with Mateo on a ball up the middle. And then the inability to turn a DP. Am I missing any? All in five innings. Maybe those balls don't turn into outs with Urias there, but it spells trouble for Gunnar being suited for the position right now.

Gunnar is not a bad fielder obviously. It's that he's learning a new position AND is adjusting to the bigs in general. Now is not the time. Let him play 3B.

One I think the one Vlad hit about 125 mph. He didn’t go up middle on the Springer grounder, didn’t turn 2 and the bobble which should have been 2 on the grounder.  

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That is fair. Question is, do you start Urias at 2B, which is also not his best position, or go with Odor in the lineup? I don't like either option so I see why they are trying Gunnar at 2B.

Yeah, it's certainly an open-ended question. I think Urias has a better chance at treading water at 2B than Gunnar does. Odor brings nothing and should be avoided except on rest days.