It Ain't Over

wildcard

I haven’t given up yet, but we’re clearly in need of a hot streak, and now. If we don’t make it to the playoffs, there are still so many positives to this season that I won’t be distraught. There’s real value to experiencing a playoff race. I think most championship teams across sport need to get a taste before breaking through. The ‘69 and ‘82 heartbreaks cone to mind, like the 2001 Terps. The fact that our guys are experiencing playoff-like pressure in what was expected to be a development year is a valuable surprise. 

• Upvote 3

Need to be 2 or less back heading into final series. No way we sweep them.

I am not really worried about the SP. Other than Watkins who was just sent down the SP has been fine. These days off will help Hyde stabilize the rotation of Lyles Bradish Voth Kremer and Wells. We have GRod and Harvey as insurance. 

BP worries me a little especially with the Hall experiment I mean cluster. Hopefully with 3 off days in the next week they will be well rested.

It all comes down to the offense. Bottom line this offense stinks right now. You can't expect 3 rookies to carry it. Santander has been great. But Mountcastle and Hays need to step up or we're done. They are the "veterans". Just produce like you did last year and we'll be good.

Just hoping we can play 650 700 ball and the Rays beat up on Toronto next week 🙏

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Need to be 2 or less back heading into final series. No way we sweep them.

I am not really worried about the SP. Other than Watkins who was just sent down the SP has been fine. These days off will help Hyde stabilize the rotation of Lyles Bradish Voth Kremer and Wells. We have GRod and Harvey as insurance. 

BP worries me a little especially with the Hall experiment I mean cluster. Hopefully with 3 off days in the next week they will be well rested.

It all comes down to the offense. Bottom line this offense stinks right now. You can't expect 3 rookies to carry it. Santander has been great. But Mountcastle and Hays need to step up or we're done. They are the "veterans". Just produce like you did last year and we'll be good.

Just hoping we can play 650 700 ball and the Rays beat up on Toronto next week 🙏

At this point, I just hope TB is pumped up going for the division and take 4/5 from Toronto. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

We were pitching two freaking AAA starters.   That really did not help.

Plus they did us the compliment of inserting an Opener to juggle their rotation to align all three of Gausman-Berrios-Manoah into the series.

We don't have any pitchers like that yet.    And this week, in the aggregate, those TOR guys are still better than our Early Adley lineups in baseball's essential competition of Arm v. Bat.     But its growth, and some of these same Bats are going to inflate those star's ERA's in the years to come.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Also... I am still having nightmares about those OAK and DET series earlier in the year.. 1-6 in those 7 games. Even if we had gone 3-4 4-3 we'd be in MUCH better shape than we are now.

Meh, every team has that type of story though.  Toronto got swept by LAA just recently.  They win two out of three there, its not even this close right now.  Etc. Etc.

If we wind up heading into that last series of the year needing two or three wins against Toronto to make the playoffs, the parallels to 1989 will become inescapably eerie at that point.  Will Tyler Wells step on a rusty nail and be unable to start, prompting the team to start Spenser Watkins instead?  Will Bautista be lights out until he spikes a breaking ball to score the run that knocks us out?  Stay tuned!!

• Upvote 1

I’m seeing all these formulas about how we need to win so many games in this series or that one.  I don’t see it that way .  24 games left, we need to win at least 15.   I don’t particularly care against who, except we certainly can’t do worse than splitting with Toronto.  Fifteen wins might not be enough, but we’ll see.  

• Upvote 2