Should we bring Trey back?

Big Al

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It makes some sense to bring him back. He’s tired out the last two seasons in the 2nd half. Maybe being another year removed from cancer will help. Also, the shift ban.

2021:

Pre ASB - .791 OPS

Post ASB - .711 OPS

2022:

Pre ASB - .769 OPS

Post ASB - .614 OPS 

Looks like he got a little tired from Pre ASB 2021 to Pre ASB 2022 also.  I think his ship has sailed.  He was a fantastic O.  Would hate for him to come back, flop, and tarnish that reputation.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Without making other moves I don't see how it makes sense to bring back a RH 1B/DH that doesn't have the raw power to compensate for the changes in the left field wall.

Not to mention you know Hyde will feel obligated to play him way more than he should. I'm not sure Trey is an every day player anymore, and he certainly doesn't fit as one on this squad unless Mountcastle gets injured for a long period of time. 

Trey is unfortunately suffering the reality of a RH 1B/DH market, maybe one of the worst free agent markets there is in today's game. He'll get his on a 2 year deal somewhere, probably, but teams are going to look at how he faded last year and have some concerns. 

• Upvote 1

I do not see a fit for a RH DH. We will want to DH Adley around 1/4 of the time and ideally Santander most of the other days. Adding Mancini to DH forces Santander back to the outfield which hurts our defense and further squeezes out Vavra, Stowers, and Hays. I'd rather just give more AB's to the latter group. The only way Mancini makes sense is if Santander is traded IMO. 

• Upvote 1

At the start of the offseason, I was shooting higher. Now, I'm not opposed to it if we are possibly including Ryan Mountcastle in a trade. Given the Marlins have asked on Tristian Casas. Obviously, Casas has more controllability and more upside, but a deal could be done with Mountcastle as a piece of the puzzle. In that case, sure, bring back Mancini to replace him. If, however, we still have Mountcastle, I don't see a place for Mancini outside of taking away ABs from Stowers, Mountcastle or Santander. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now vs RHP we have O’Hearn slotted in at DH and batting 8th. There is certainly room for improvement.  

Unfortunately, we have enough of "those guys" in the system now.  I'd really rather see Westburg getting major league at bats before Mancini, and I'm a huge trey fan.  But it's time to move on, and I think Trey just blocks other talent.