Should we bring Trey back?

Big Al

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now vs RHP we have O’Hearn slotted in at DH and batting 8th. There is certainly room for improvement.  

Is there any indication O’Hearn is actually ahead of the likes of Stowers and Vavra for AB’s? Plus the fact that Mateo can push one of Henderson/Urias/Frazier to DH when he plays the field. I  don’t see O’Hearn having a path to much playing time or even an MLB spot if the team is healthy. But maybe I missed something that was reported in the other thread. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Is there any indication O’Hearn is actually ahead of the likes of Stowers and Vavra for AB’s? Plus the fact that Mateo can push one of Henderson/Urias/Frazier to DH when he plays the field. I  don’t see O’Hearn having a path to much playing time or even an MLB spot if the team is healthy. But maybe I missed something that was reported in the other thread. 

You didn't miss anything, you're right on the money here. 

I don't think he fits with the current needs of this team.

On a different note, I think it's so interesting to think about how the timing of the new LF wall changed his whole career trajectory. Imagine they didn't build the new wall last season. He hits like 7-10 extra home runs. His OPS shoots up .050-.100 points. 

His free agent market would look way different. 

Bad timing for him.

Just now, TommyPickles said:

I don't think he fits with the current needs of this team.

On a different note, I think it's so interesting to think about how the timing of the new LF wall changed his whole career trajectory. Imagine they didn't build the new wall last season. He hits like 7-10 extra home runs. His OPS shoots up .050-.100 points. 

His free agent market would look way different. 

Bad timing for him.

Seven to 10?

More like four.

And every team has access to the data Would It Dong uses.

They all know how the wall impacted his stats.

I'd say what he did with the Astros is more of a factor than the wall.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Could Trey help our team chemistry?  He could DH and he can play a decent first base.  I kinda hope he comes back.

Not when he visibly sulks every time he hits a flyball near the Wall. Thats really going to rub off well on his teammates. If he was still managing an .820 OPS then the scenario completely changes. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Trey’s playoffs are irrelevant.  

Because... SSS? He's not a good fit anyway?

BTW the end of the season with HOU was pretty bad too (75 OPS+ in 165 AB).

Edited by now

This is reminding me of when Markakis left in free agency signing with the Braves. I was okay (and other fans were too) with it initially thinking the O's were going to have a plan to replace Markakis in the outfield. Then they tried Travis Snider and then Parra in 2015 instead of targeting a better outfielder. 

Situation with Trey is similar watching Elias acquire O'Hearn and Mazara as potential Trey replacements. I don't think Elias should resign Trey, but I don't really don't want to see the players mentioned above getting his at bats next season.

Maybe O'Hearn will surprise, but I'm worried about another Rougned Odor like situation.