Plate Posing...Odor

Etch

1 hour ago, Etch said:

So he decides to pose instead of run. May have cost us the game. Inexcusable.

A lot of things may have cost us the game. The fact that most of our batters are completely incapable of hitting a simple ground ball to the opposite field may have cost us the game. Akin in the 11th going walk, single, sac fly, HBP, walk may have (probably did) cost us the game. Runners on base getting bad reads on hits to the OF may have cost us the game. Stupid teams tend to lose a lot of ballgames, and the Orioles on Sunday were a stupid team. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Etch said:

He's a high-energy guy who is clearly completely dedicated to the team. I'm not sure how his not dead-sprinting out of the box cost us a game, he's not exactly the fastest guy, it's extremely unlikely he'd have been able to stretch that game-tying single into a double. But yes, let's tell the guy who's played in nearly 1,100 Major League games how to do his job. If he lives for the moment to help his team (and if we're talking about the same case, he tied the game and kept them alive), he can pose if he wants. 

The last few years, at this point in the season, the Orioles teams have been so apathetic (with good reason), that it's finally nice to see some kind of passion and desire to actually win.

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 2

It feels that in the games where Odor does something heroic, he also does something infuriating.  Two big game-tying hits today, but we might have won that game if he’d run full out on that hit instead of standing there and admiring it.  

The McKenna baserunning mistake failing to advance from 2B on Hays’ bloop single also was infuriating, but turned out to be inconsequential when he later scored anyway.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Etch said:

Or it may have avoided a situation in which Odor's aggressive style on the bases got him thrown out at second. Who knows?

I agree completely that he should have been running out of the box, but it's hard to know what effect it had.

• Upvote 1

Odor's grandstanding was inexcusable. I think he could have reached second base because it took him a very long time even to start jogging. But at least he came up with two game-tying hits. If you want to fault anyone in the lineup how about the combined 2-3-4 slots (Rutschman, Henderson, Santander) going 0 for 13 with 1 walk and 6 Ks, including Henderson striking out all four at-bats? That certainly had a much bigger negative effect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

It was mentioned on the telecast. If he makes it to 2nd, the Stowers hit becomes an out because the defense is aligned differently. I hope Odor is gone next year, but I don't think this one mistake cost the game. There's a lot of ballgame outside of this one play.

If he's on second the pitch sequence works out differently.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

The McKenna baserunning mistake failing to advance from 2B on Hays’ bloop single also was infuriating, but turned out to be inconsequential when he later scored anyway.  

If memory serves me correctly, McKenna scored on an Odor single. Second time Odor tied a close game even with his baserunning gaffe earlier. Odor, the Rodney Dangerfield of the 2022 Orioles. 😀 Makes one goof yesterday and is the reason we loss. Can you say Akin or all the others who didn't have a hit until like forever. How about Tate's wild pitch? Odor's second single in the tenth may have won it. Then there's the first game where he had the only RBI's. 

In my opiunion, Odor has added an edge to this team this year but I wish him a great retirement on his ranch in Texas. 

39 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

If memory serves me correctly, McKenna scored on an Odor single. Second time Odor tied a close game even with his baserunning gaffe earlier. Odor, the Rodney Dangerfield of the 2022 Orioles. 😀 Makes one goof yesterday and is the reason we loss. Can you say Akin or all the others who didn't have a hit until like forever. How about Tate's wild pitch? Odor's second single in the tenth may have won it. Then there's the first game where he had the only RBI's. 

In my opiunion, Odor has added an edge to this team this year but I wish him a great retirement on his ranch in Texas. 

Haha. He’s only 28. I love Odor’s defense, but if he’s our leader, he couldn’t be Hollywooding right there. SMH.