The MLB Playoffs General Game Thread

Moose Milligan

I don't think we need to start game threads for any of the particular playoff games as I'm not sure if there's enough interest.  But if any of you guys want to talk **** while there's playoff baseball on, this is the place.  Just one thread for all the games.  

Right now, the Guardians beat the Rays in Game 1 of their series.  Phillies and Cardinals are knotted at zero.

Michael Kay is the PBP guy on this broadcast and I have to say he's not nearly as insufferable as he is when he's broadcasting a Yankees game.

Scherzer got lit up last night. Have to wonder if he’s healthy. Might not matter unless the Mets get their act together real quick. A 100 win team out in two games?  I’m torn between hating all NY teams and wanting to see Buck have some success. But I also want to see Manny have some playoff fun so I guess I’m going Padres. 

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Scherzer got lit up last night. Have to wonder if he’s healthy. Might not matter unless the Mets get their act together real quick. A 100 win team out in two games?  I’m torn between hating all NY teams and wanting to see Buck have some success. But I also want to see Manny have some playoff fun so I guess I’m going Padres. 

Manny + Buck kind of cancel each other out for my hometown thing.    To the extent one of the strongest October rooting fors is the winner of this series against the Dodgers in the smaller 5-game sample size, it wouldn't be all bad if SDP kept their pitching in good order.      Today is the day Buck is under the microscope with his Edwin Diaz usage pattern.    I believe it'll be a mistake if SDP get more than their first couple few runs off anyone but deGrom-Diaz, even if that means an early entry for the RP.

Andrew Friedman probably grateful a little Soto + Scherzer split onto different rosters for the 5-game nervous time coming up next week.

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

This is why I was SMH when the Mets signed him for $43 million: Wasn't this the same 37-year old who, despite being a great competitor, had himself scratched from a crucial post-season start with the Dodgers last year because of dead arm? One can say that he disproved the concern with a fine season with the Mets, but he was coming off an equally good season in 2021.

I'm rooting for DeGrom in the second game, but for the Padres in the third. Poor Buck, I know....

Edited by LA2

I knew Jose Ramirez was a low-dollar international FA (just $50k), but Sciambi had a new detail in his first PA just now....he didn't affiliate until he was 18 after being passed on at 16-17.

As an 18-year old Bat-first profile starting point, Ramirez perhaps is what Termarr Johnson dreams of becoming.   

Ditto Jackson Holliday, though for starters I'll believe Elias' evaluation there may be real SS defense in that package.

Peter Fairbanks was about the best reliever in the league the second half, walked like 3 guys all season, enters on a 50-degree October afternoon, walks the first two guys he faces, says "I can't feel my hand", and is out of the game.

At Driveline, it is always 72 degrees, just like in the dome right?

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So I forget... Is there a man on 2nd base to start extra innings in the postseason or not?

Nope.    Rays-Guardians very on brand 0-0 into 10th inning, and the Bats will have to do it honestly.

TBR has already used Rasmussen, making Springs likely Game 3 starter if they get there.    Kluber is on the roster if it goes long for a good possible My Old Team drama situation.

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ex Orioles P Armstrong is in trying to keep season alive. 

Wow, after clean 15-pitch inning, Rays are asking Armstrong for more....and he punches out Jose Ramirez on three pitches.    Cash hooks him after that, and a well-earned proud walk to the dugout.

Edited by Just Regular